Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 07:27 AM

to spay or not to spay

Hi all, i know indie is a bit young for me to be worrying about this. But im really scared about getting her spayed, since its under anaesthetic. I here alot of dogs dont wake up? is this true? ive been really worrying about it and have even considered not getting her done at all because of it. I know its better to get them done since it helps stop cancer etc. But i dont kno what id do if i lost her!!!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Just my personal opinion, but I would never have any of my girls spayed unless it was for medical reasons.

Is there a medical reason you are thinking of having it done?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 10:07 AM
no medical reason other than they r more prone to cancer without it done
Ozzy_AmericanBulldog
Dogsey Junior

17-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Hi,

this is my personal opinion, and i know there will be people that wont agree with me, but, i personally feel that if you do not plan to show and breed your dogs, if they are crosses, just pets, have health problems or dont have good Hip/Elbow scores etc etc then i would have them speyed/castrated. I have a Rottie x aswell as my AB's and i had her speyed because i didnt want to take the risk of her ever having pups. My oldest AB was castrated for medical reasons, and because he isnt good enough to breed from.

Please don't get upset about having her speyed, it is a routine operation, the best person to put your mind at rest is your vet, because he/she can explain the proceedure to you and talk through any concerns you have. Whenever i have had to take any of mine, i took them in at 8.30am, phoned at 3pm, then picked them up at 5pm, yes they are groggy afterwards, but it wares off. If there are any problems your vet will ring you.

But at the end of the day, it is up to you, its your dog, i'm just giving you my opinion and telling you what i do. Everyone has different ideas and does things differently. If you want to talk to me about it just give me a shout

Ozzy xxx
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Jenny, its your decision at the end of the day,but if you do decide to go ahead the vet will put your mind at rest and explain everything to you. Star was away for only 4 hours them home to us.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by jenny6165
no medical reason other than they r more prone to cancer without it done
But the chances of cancer are probably less than the risks of anaesthetic.

Have a good chat with your vet before you decide, some vets will spay just for the sake of it, others tend to go into it a bit more before deciding, but it has to be your choice.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 01:30 PM
I can only say what others have said already.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 02:19 PM
I agree with CC on this one ....unless it needs to be done i wouldn't ....they can be prone to gaining weight and it can affect the coat as well .... at the end of the day it's your decision totally I am lucky enough to have a vet who thinks the same but has admitted it is 50% of his income
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 02:47 PM
well, as far as breeding is concerned, i will not be breeding from her, as she has no papers and i did not see her parents.
Are there alot of health risks either way?
As in, she might get side effects from being spayed and may get cancer from not being spayed?
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 03:08 PM
My first staffy bitch was a spayed bitch and she suffered terribly from incontinence and weight problems.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >