Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 04:51 PM

Advice on feeding horses that aren't your own please

Well I'm not really a horsey person, as in I dont really know them tbh. I like them but dont ride and have never owned a horse.

Well, yesterday I met two horses that tbh probably arent what youd call "lookers" but instantly I liked them. More than any other I've seen when out and about. I decided to see if they would come to the gate and they did. I dont quite know why I liked them straight away but anyhoo....first a female came over and she was liking the attention but seemed 'switched on' and by that I mean, you pet, you feed..no feed? BYE! LOL

Then a little youngster came over and he is just LOVELY, he's probably the only one I've met thats been so "cuddly" Is that because he's young?

They must be pets as they are so friendly and tame and happy to come over, Loui is fine with them and they didnt seem fazed in the slightest by him.

Anyway, I really love this little guy, put such a smile on my face and it was nice to see them. I'll be walking that way again this week, so my question to horsey folk is; is it ok to feed them from my hand, given they dont know me, and also if this is generally ok to do (as its someone elses pet AFAIK)?

Appreciate the feedback as I've never had a horse so no clue really!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 04:54 PM
oh and if it is ok to feed them, should I get some of those horse cube treats that I've seen in the feed place?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm afraid I wouldn't be happy if someone was feeding my pony.

Maybe find our who owns them and ask if it's ok?

Helen

ps, Dusty is like that to people. We have a footpath alongside the paddock and she will always go over for a nosey but if they don't have food, she just turns round and walks away lol
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-04-2012, 05:00 PM
just feed them grass, they might have diet problems so if they were my horses i would only want people feeding grass, ( and only if they are in a paddock with access to grass anyway.

they will still want it lol
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 05:00 PM
I wouldn`t - it encourages them to mug passers by.
If you can persuade them over for a stroke, some horses like to lick your hand (flat hand, fingers together) for the salt.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 05:03 PM
I would say no as I never liked anyone feeding mine, giving tip-bits can make them bitie/barging/muggers when the food buckets come,

But maybe if you see the owner they will agree.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 05:05 PM
I would never feed somebody else's animal whatever it was.

Having owned horses myself I did not want my animals being given food from someone else.

People do stupid things too.

Often people have fed horses lawn clippings and killed them as of course these have often fermented and, when consumed cause colic.

Grass may have been sprayed.

Some horses are on starvation paddocks to prevent them developing laminitis.

Over and above this, it can make horses very boshie and nip people in the expectation of food.

I am sure you would not want people feeding your dogs without your express permission.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-04-2012, 05:06 PM
what i do with my horse is have a hay net full of hay outside the gate hanging out of her reach on a branch and out of reach of kids,
i know a couple people that stop to feed her hay but im the only person that gives her nice things
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 05:15 PM
I really don't like people feeding my horses. There's a man I have repeatedly asked not to feed them and he still does, he even hid behind a bush once to avoid me when I turned up!

Maybe loiter around and ask the owner if it's ok.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks everyone for answering
The reason I wanted to ask is that I have a pet with food issues and so although I see people feeding horses as if its the done thing I'm a bit wary of doing it myself! Then wondered if I was being a bit paranoid, so thanks for clearing that up for me

I'm sure they wont starve they have plenty grass in their paddock area that they were in and also a feed and water station

I reckon the youngster will still come for "cuddles" the female will probably bump me off

She was very clear...she was standing enjoying a rub (or so it seemed) then she would lean down and eat some grass, then go to my hand, she must be good at dropping hints cos I held both hands out and said "no food" the way you do and she stomped off giving the other a nudge as if to say, get out of here shes a time waster lol

dont know why I've taken to this pair more than usual, just like their characters I suppose
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >