View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 05:57 PM
I agree with everyone else, I'd stick to keeping Bear. Although you may love Scooby & feel partially responsible for him, he isn't your dog and Bear is.

A month is not long enough for a rescue dog to fully settle & for you to get a completely clear picture of what he is like so how could you know which owners would be suitable for him and which wouldn't? What happens if you rehome Bear, take on Scooby & then a month down the line the new owners tell you they can't cope & need you to take him back because he has regressed to his old behaviour? What if you rehome him to someone but once he is settled he changes & is no longer suitable for them so they need you to take him back? Then you will be left with a rescued dog who is now completely back at square one (possibly with new behavioural problems), a dog who requires lots of medical treatment and all your other dogs.

Honestly, I think rehoming Bear would be irresponsible. You took on the responsibility of caring for him when you brought him home, you can't just rehome him to someone else a month down the line because there is another dog who needs you. Your responsibility is first & foremost to your own dogs.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2010, 05:59 PM
I have to be honest and say that myself and my partner have had continuing doubts about the suitability of ourselves as owners for Bear. I don't know whether this is through lack of faith in our own ability or is actually something founded.
We wouldn't even have a dilemna here if our 3 other dogs were comfortable around Bear, and Bear was happy with the company of the other dogs. We have to think about the happiness of our other 3 dogs as much as Bear's happiness.

I have messaged a member on here who has offered hands-on help with Bear. Bear was a big unknown when he came to us. Was only described to us as 'grumpy', although we'd seen him be perfectly fine with other dogs at the kennels on his walks. I have felt that we have bitten off more than we can handle. To be honest I just don't feel comfortable with 'returning to rescue'. I would feel like I've failed Bear.

I think it will help to meet with the member we've got in touch with if he can spare us the time because I'm sure he will speak truthfully and objectively and either confirm our worries or reassure us.

I guess this current situation has simply forced us to face the doubts we've both been feeling about whether this home is the right one for Bear.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have a good friend who takes on dogs and rehomes them---usually collies. She is in Kent.

She is away at a show this w/e but may be able to help.

Hold fire and don't let your friend rush into anything and I am sure we can sort something out. The dogs are fostered on a farm while they wait for a home if they can't stay where they are so he should be well at home!

rune
Is it realistic to think that someone will take him on knowing he has diagnosed hip dysplasia and will need painkillers daily for now, and then possibly a full hip replacement in years to come?

I guess that's the biggest worry here really. He has needs that will put almost all potential suitable homes off
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:14 PM
That is a very honest appraisal of the situation from your end.

I am sure you will get great advice from the member.

I would still doubt the wisdom of taking Scooby on---it will give you four dogs the same sort of age with the same life expectancy---I have been there and it isn't nice.

Do you want me top ring my friend on her mobile and chat it through with her---yes it is do-able, there are some lovely people who are happy to pay vets bills etc.

rune
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Thank you rune for your reply.
I will speak with my friend and my partner before I confirm.

What is this rescue's policy if the dog cannot be rehomed? And how are the dogs housed? Will your friend herself be able to foot the vet's bills while he's there?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 06:42 PM
All dogs that she has are rehomed----it is a private person not a rescue as such.

Bills depend on what he is on at the moment. She has experience of HD in collies.

Housed---not sure---you'd have to chat to her---or your friend would. Outside I believe in kennels but don't quote me!

rune
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Thank you rune, I'm yet to speak to my friend about this but will phone her tomorrow to see what she wants to do.
I know she just wants what is best for Scooby.

On another note, I have emailed the coordinator of the Rescue sector of the Great Pyrenean Mountain Dog Club of GB to ask for some more breed-specific advice about how to go about retraining Bear as I would imagine she has experience of dogs in similar situations to Bear. I'm only just realising how different the PMD breed is to other breeds out there and I think it's not always right to treat them in the same way as you would other breeds.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Reading back on the other posts it sounded as if Bear was coming along very nicely with you. I suppose only you know whether you can face the long term committment of looking after him especially if you genuinely feel he is not fitting in with the rest of the family. It does seem so sad though to be thinking of letting him go and replacing him with the Collie. If the Collie hadn't come along would you have continued with Bear do you think? whatever happens I hope that you make the right decision for Bear, he has obviously come to love and trust you I feel so sad for him.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 11:43 PM
i would keep bear. you took him on, and he is your responsibility. a month really isnt that long a time for a dog to settle into a new home with 3 other dogs about.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 03:20 PM
I think you have a responsibility to Bear which is to give him the best life you can. This may or may not be with you.

Patricia McConnell is talking about rehoming her new puppy in her blog http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/2010/08 and I think what she says makes a lot of sense.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >