View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 03:10 PM

Following on from the flexi-leads... what about those lead doublers?

The type that let you walk two dogs together on one main lead? Just wondering as the woman over the road has two dogs she walks on one, and it's pretty much a tornado of spaniel going down the road - just seen her going along when I was getting out of the car and one of them was jumping up like crazy, the pair of them were getting tangled like mad and lots of tugging from all three parts of the triangle going on!

They just look like a total uncontrollable nightmare for me unless you've got two utter plodders - I think my dog would go nuts being forced into such close proximity to another dog with no personal space left for him.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 03:34 PM
I've seen people who obviously have no trouble at all with a double lead and I've seen people who would be much better off walking their dogs on separate leads. In my opinion it all comes down to the individual dogs and the situation. I don't think it's a case of having to have a 'plodder' necessarily but I think you'd have to have two well behaved dogs and you'd have to have good control over them and know their 'triggers' if there are any.

There is a woman by me who has about 5 dachshunds and another who has two boxers and I've never noticed neither women having any trouble using double leads. However, both women come across as being very 'doggy' people and obviously know their dogs very well and have put a hell of a lot of time into training them. I think for your 'average' dog owner who maybe has two dogs but isn't all that much of a 'doggy' person, a double lead would be a nightmare.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Couples are find for lead trained dogs of the same size and speed etc.

Most people I see use them just make life more difficult for themselves and their dogs.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I've walked a friends small dogs on one, when they have stayed with me, as they are used to it, and they plod along happily together. I prefer separate leads

I think a tornado of dog, is a good way of describing some of the people I have seen using them
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 03:47 PM
i use them at work, it means i can walk 5 flatcoats in one go its fine if the dogs are used to it and are lead trained properly.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 04:13 PM
I really don't get the point in those double lead attachments. I'd rather just use two leads and have individual control.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2011, 04:13 PM
I manage to walk 3 Dobermanns with a combined weight of 116kgs coupled together and the only time they plod is when they're on lead, it all comes down to training.
Kilos'-'Serenity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2011, 04:21 PM
I sometimes do something similar.

Kilo walks most places off lead, and I have Asha on 2 leads, one attached to the other for extra length so she gets a bit more freedom, with the benefit of an extra handle for when I need to keep her closer without getting a constricted hand, I can't bring myself to trust a flexi with stronger dogs.

When Kilo needs to be on lead for a longer stretch, i.e in crowded areas or along main roads, I will sometimes attach his lead to Ashas extra one, in effect creating a double but they have more freedom from each other. The only Issue we have with it really is that Asha will always put herself on the side of Kilo that gets in the way of him doing wee wees

It also prevents me from getting stretched when one stops to sniff or whatever and the other carries on.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Use one often ...
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I walk the collies on a coupler, I wouldnt put any of them with Flynn on it though. They walk perfectly well on it since the collies dont pull, they walk at the same speed (i.e my speed) and each dog has it's own position where it always walks.

I have the coupler attached to a double ended lead and I drape this diagonally across me which leaves both hands free for controlling Flynn yet the collies are perfectly secure. Thats the reason I do not use 3 seperate leads.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >