View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:10 PM
As others have said, there's no right or wrong to it, it depends entirely how you feel after losing your dog. Particularily if you only have one dog, the house just feels so empty without one. People shouldn't feel that they are being seen to be replacing the previous dog as there is no way that they can be replaced.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:13 PM
For me its a personal choice... when Sam died, my dad waited just under 2 weeks, he already had an English Setter planned, but went full steam ahead, when Sammy was put to sleep due to disc problems. My Mum didn't bond with her at first as Sammy was her dog and she didn't want another just then. Saying that she soon fell in love with her!
When Tess died, we waited 13 years!! I was at college, then worked and the time was never right, I was living in my flat and having the time of my life dogless, still had the piggies, but not such a commitment as a dog...
Then circumstances changed and I moved back home and we got Jamie, soon followed by Deacon and then Remy.
When Remy got sick, I knew I wanted another dog before she left us, she had such prescence and I knew if I waited til after she left, I would wait a long time and I wanted a girl in the house... Codee was in the right place at the right time!!
Remy died two weeks later and it was hell, the grief was raw and angry and even now some 14/15mths later, I miss her and feel bereft at her loss I got Codee at the right time, I think.
But its not just humans who grieve for their friends, Jamie loved Remy and grieved her, he got depressed, I am not humanising him either, I was told by several people he missed her and so 6 months ago we rehomed Honey-Bea, our Irish. He is back to himself again!!
So I think its a personal choice and only you can decide when to move on... I never see another dog as a replacement for the one who has left, I see the new dog as a gift from the one who has left, as balm to your painful heart, to ease you through xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Oh I just couldn't say if it was my only dog I lost, because I've always been lucky enough to have a 2nd dog to keep me company. We waited 7 months after losing our last dog, it just felt right, as it will for you when the time comes, you will know, you'll either wait or you'll have to fill that gaping hole straight away, you will never know until it happens. A house is not a home and all that without a furry friend to mess it all up! I can't imagine the day when I have a clean house and nothing to do Perish that thought!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:42 PM
We have had two dogs put to sleep, and both cases were different.

The first was a rescue collie X, and we had him for about 15 years.........the pain was almost unbearable, although there was an element of relief too, as we knew that the end was coming and living with that knowledge is almost as bad as the end itself. After just one week, the hole that he left behind was too great to ignore and we set off to choose another rescue dog.

She too was a collie X, and we had the dubious pleasure of her difficult to say the least company for 14 years or so. (I loved her even more than the first, if that's possible). When she had to be put to sleep it was a few months before we were due to move from the depths of the countryside into the local tiny market town. Because of this, we held off from getting another dog. We duly moved, and then a grandchild came along so we felt that as the grandchild was frequently visiting it was not a good idea to bring a rescue dog into the house. So it was a good three years before we once again headed for the rescue kennels. Now...........in those three years, although we desperately missed having a dog, we became used to the freedom; the lack of worry; being able to go away whenever and wherever we wished. We could get up in the morning and decide to go off somewhere for the day without a second thought.

Don't get me wrong, we have never regretted bringing home our latest chap - not for one moment - but my point is this: if you fill the hole in your home and your heart almost immediately, then to my mind it is far easier. Leave it too long, and without realising it your lifestyle has altered to the extent that taking in a new dog is a major upheavel.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:48 PM
I cannot bear to be without a dog. So it would be asap. I need a dog. They make my life complete.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 08:00 PM
How does everyone feel about getting a second just so the passing of the first is easier?

I'm scared to death about losing Woody and am seriously considering a second help prevent us suddenly becoming dog-less in a few years time (among other things of course).
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
How does everyone feel about getting a second just so the passing of the first is easier?

I'm scared to death about losing Woody and am seriously considering a second help prevent us suddenly becoming dog-less in a few years time (among other things of course).
I think you should get another so your current dog has company of his own species. You will find they mourn their lost friend though - Razzle howled in the night for a while after Bran passed away (he`s taken to being friends with Daisy now).
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think you should get another so your current dog has company of his own species. You will find they mourn their lost friend though - Razzle howled in the night for a while after Bran passed away (he`s taken to being friends with Daisy now).
He's not ready yet, but it is one of the reasons. The other is purely selfish.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I cannot bear to be without a dog. So it would be asap. I need a dog. They make my life complete.
Think that the connection/love/feeling whatever that dogs bring to many comes about at a very early age, n yes, without being able to have them as part of life, if feel that way is strange. My life would never be complete without having a dog here and went through some very difficult n lonely times without one, but it had to be the right time, for some it happens sooner than others.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone - it's good to hear how other people deal with things.

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I always envisioned getting Rocky a playmate because he loves dogs - but don't think it would be fair on him now (getting older and now he's got cancer too). But then I think it's not fair on him not having a playmate. I really don't know what's best - just want to do right by him.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »