View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

16-12-2004, 12:43 AM

Organic food

Just thinking about organic food is it any better for you than the mass produced food that we all consume everyday.

Virtually not a day goes by without some government dept saying that this is bad and that is bad when is it going to stop it seems like that we are all being brain washed into thinking that all the stuff that our parents have given us that they were really trying to poison us.

Organic food at the moment is over priced at the moment (I know what your going to say that it will get cheaper when more ppl but it) is worth the extra expense when your bringing up a family and not living by yourself.

What are the benefits of organic food to live longer if I last as long as my gran did when she had eaten all the so called crap food I’ll be well pleased.

Just intrested in what your thoughts are.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2004, 12:51 AM
I assumed organic foods werent full of pesticides and steroids and therefore better for you ?
Also not having pesticides and fertilisers etc it means they are more prone to disease and therefore produce less crop which may explain *some* of the additional costs
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

16-12-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by Lel
I assumed organic foods werent full of pesticides and steroids and therefore better for you ?
Also not having pesticides and fertilisers etc it means they are more prone to disease and therefore produce less crop which may explain *some* of the additional costs
Do you think that they could get ride of all the pesticides in the soil from all those years of abuse? Thet say that they have scimed the top soil off to avoid getting pesticides into the food but i don't think that they could get all of it.

Do you by organic food Lel if you do then i assume that you think it's worth the extra cost as if food wasn't expensive enough.

Would you buy more organic products if they were available?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

16-12-2004, 01:04 AM
It can be seen as education or a lack off (or information being withheld for whatever reason). For example when I was growing up my mum just wanted me to eat... anything! ( I was far more interested in going out to play) that she didn't mind if I had my 'faves' (which always = bad! lol) alot more than I should have. I love my mum don't get me wrong but I feel she was a bit soft on me and should have been stricter... had she known or been 'educated' how important healthy eating is, she would've put her foot down!!

You'll prob find that your Gran ate a lot healthy than you did! Probably almost certainly most of the meals she ate were cooked from scratch using real herbs and spices and not artificial this and thats.

I feel sorry for the children of today who are brought up on all these 'chemicals' and GM food, and I also feel for the parents because they want to do the best they can for thier kids (who wouldnt?) but they feel a bit lost/confused about who to believe (a bit like you mr.leo). I also feel VERY angry with the food companies because I cannot accept they are not privy to the fact that all these chemicals are bad for people. What makes me so sure? I have been through it myself - I have been diagnosed as Lactose intollerant by a DNA test. Did you know that Lactose is added to soooooooooooo many foods? Can you believe it is in ORANGE JUICE? even though the packet says from PURE CONCENTRATE? Mcdonnalds coat their chips in it, it goes into breadcrumbs! lol the list is endless and the reason is because it is used as a sweetner AND a preservative (it does both jobs hence why 'everyones' using it).

Did you also know that around 5% of the UK population are lactose intollerant? thas 1 in 20 people! and they Don't even know it!!!

If anyone suspects they have M.E try cutting out all foods with Lactose, take probiotics (acidophlous) and drink plenty of bottled (not tap) water. There are other things you can do but I would suggest seaking professional help.

This is a subject close to my heart but unfourtunately I don't have the time to devote to it just yet. But watch this space...
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2004, 01:12 AM
Do you think that they could get ride of all the pesticides in the soil from all those years of abuse? Thet say that they have scimed the top soil off to avoid getting pesticides into the food but i don't think that they could get all of it.

Do you by organic food Lel if you do then i assume that you think it's worth the extra cost as if food wasn't expensive enough.

Would you buy more organic products if they were available?
Must admit I dont go out of my way to buy organic foods no
Expense is one reason but also I feel Im defeating the object as so much of ordinary life is tainted in some way ( air pollution/ animal steroids intake / radiation from mobiles and other normal everyday things) that I really dont think Organic foods would have an effect- although on the other side of the coin I definately WOULDNT buy genetically modified foods
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2004, 08:06 AM
The only thing I buy that I would consider "good" is free range eggs and judging by a story of a free range farm in last Sundays newspaper even that doesnt guarantee good quality lol.

I am afraid I am one of those people who just eats what I eat I, microwave meals MacDonalds Chippies anything I feel like I eat and dont really pay much attention to labels or what not, I figure if its gonna happen its gonna happen so I just enjoy myself and dont think of the consequences, imo life is too short I've lost too many people too young to spend time worrying about what goes in lol.....but good on those that do take the time I am full of respect its just something I could never do, besides I dont like any vegetables (except tatties) or really ever eat fruit so there isn't really much incentive to start eating better lol.

I am amazed that I eat what I do and stay the same weight lol.

Laura
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

16-12-2004, 09:19 AM
I do the same as you Laura i eat everything i shouldn't unlike you i'm abit over weight and should exersice more but on the whole i don't feel any side affects from in fact i haven't had a day off work through illness for 14 years not even fake ones. Sad i know but i do like my job. So eating e numbers and everything else i don't think has done me any harm.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Yay I am not the only one lol.

To be honest I am similar I know people who eat healthy and live strict lives and have had problems with cancer and what not so I dont really have an incentive to go organic or whatever.

I mean nobody worried about these things years ago and they did not bad, sure the ilnesses were still about but its one of these things I guess. Its like the way parents keep children too clean these days, you know in the older days kids were rarely ill because they were forever exposed to germs out playing in the mud etc and nowadays its a lot different and people seem to be more susceptable to viruses etc.

I just live for today and worry about tomorrow when I am there.

Laura
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2004, 10:14 AM
If we all worried about what we ate, we'd starve to death

I don't intentionally buy organic food, mainly because of the cost. Most meals I cook from scratch, 1. because the food tastes much nicer without all the added salt and preservatives, and 2, I enjoy doing it. My kids would much rather have a home cooked meal, than something I've rustled up out of a packet or jar.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-12-2004, 10:20 AM
I agree that its too expensive to buy when you are feeding a large family.

My friends baby wont eat organic carrots but will eat normal ones, so it must taste different
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >