Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2004, 11:40 PM

What size cage?

A friend at work is getting a pup in a couple of weeks a cocker spaniel and wants to get a cage there have been apparently differing pieces of info on the size of the cages have been offered. So I told her I would ask here, and show her the answers/suggestions. So what size cage would you get for a cocker pup? I think she will use it till the pup is housetrained and able to be left without chewing maybe longer if the pup takes to it?

What size would you suggest?

Karen
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

08-07-2004, 11:44 PM
I think the general rule is to get a size which is tall enough for the dog when fully grown and where it will be able turn around easily. Basically the bigger the better. Not sure what everyone else thinks tho...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2004, 04:50 AM
If she wants the dog to use it when adult then the information Azz gave is correct. However, an adult size crate, if it is to be used to aid house training, will be too large for the pup as there would be sufficient room for the pup to make a toilet area away from the sleeping area. The way to overcome this is to block off the rear of the crate with a sheet of hardboard or similar. The pup should have planty of room to stand, stretch out, etc., but not enough for an 'en suite'
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2004, 07:20 AM
Hi Kazz, my American Cockers have the ones from Argos. They only do the one size, and it's more than big enough, and would be fine for a Cocker Spaniel. They cost around 38 pounds.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

09-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
If she wants the dog to use it when adult then the information Azz gave is correct. However, an adult size crate, if it is to be used to aid house training, will be too large for the pup as there would be sufficient room for the pup to make a toilet area away from the sleeping area. The way to overcome this is to block off the rear of the crate with a sheet of hardboard or similar. The pup should have planty of room to stand, stretch out, etc., but not enough for an 'en suite'
Thanks SB I forgot to add that! lol, at one point Rockys crate was 'halfed' just for that purpose..
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks all.

Karen
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

09-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Karen - I have a dally sized one for sale if she is interested?
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Hi Chloe.

Yes. Will Pm you with my email so we can talk "details"

Karen