View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2015, 09:18 PM
Jeez, I am totally overwhelmed by all I have just read. What an amazing relationship us humans are lucky enough to have with our 4 legged canine friends. It is total symbiosis, ying and yang ... what would this world be like without dogs.

Dogs bring out the very best in us ... God I so wish I could be a dog for just 1 day, it must be absolutely amazing.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-04-2015, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I can only say that my Hal was exactly the same ... I can't explain it, but I totally accept it ... what is it? Telepathy? I don't know, but animals have this ability ... intelligent animals. I believe at one time we would have had this ability but have lost it through so-called civilisation ... being educated, being taught how to write, to think, to analyse has destroyed our intuition, our telepathic abilities that other animals still display.
I agree Gnasher, I think that some people have such a strong link, or connection, with their companion that some animals are able to tap into that.

I have only experienced it with Harvey so I can't speak about other species but I'm sure dogs are not the only ones.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Jeez, I am totally overwhelmed by all I have just read. What an amazing relationship us humans are lucky enough to have with our 4 legged canine friends. It is total symbiosis, ying and yang ... what would this world be like without dogs.

Dogs bring out the very best in us ... God I so wish I could be a dog for just 1 day, it must be absolutely amazing.
Could not agree more and I think you have summed it up perfectly including previous posts about telepathy when you said above that "It is total symbiosis".

That is probably the best description yet of what Harvey and I had, and everyone else lucky enough to experience it with their dogs.

Total and utter symbiosis!
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2015, 04:44 AM
Originally Posted by KennyUK View Post
A little illustration of how much I lived my life for Harvey.

In the veg garden I grew almost every vegetable especially for Harvey based on his favorites.

So I normally grew row and rows of Carrots (he went mad for a freshly pulled one as they are so tasty and juicy), French Beans and Runner Beans (He LOVED both of these picked straight off the plants), Red Cabbage (he loved this shredded and he loved how it crunched), Swedes - very sweet tasting, and lettuce (not much nutritional value but again he loved the crunch).

I also grew fruit especially for him, Blackcurrants (he loved these), Blueberries (very good for dogs and humans), Apples (Never allowed windfalls but loved them cored and pips removed) and his special favorite was Strawberries.

I would give him the biggest most ripe ones I could find and he would gently take each one in his mouth, lay down and bite it and the look of sheer pleasure on his face was amazing. The juice would run out of his mouth and his eyes would be half closed as he licked his lips. I never gave him too many, one maybe two fresh off the plant each day and it was a special moment. I would say to him "Do you want a strawberry" and his little tail would wag like mad and he would dash off to the gate by the strawberry patch - he knew exactly what Strawberry meant and where they were grown.

Last autumn I had ordered from the internet some giant strawberry plants that produce fruits a few inches across and very sweet and juicy. I bought these especially for Harvey and I was looking forward so much to seeing the look on his little face as he ate the first ones.

Also, in first week of March (before his seizures took hold) I had ordered and sown seed of a carrot mix that contains red and purple carrots (the thinking was these coloured ones had higher levels of vitamins for him and would give him different tastes to enjoy.

At the same time I had sown in pots in a cold frame a ton of French Beans - all ready for my boy.

About 3 weeks ago, while Harvey was having his run of good days I had planted out 2 long rows of Red Cabbage for him.

I went for a walk down the garden earlier at our normal walkies time carrying Harvey with me and I noticed that the carrots are through now and some of the French beans are through, the Red Cabbage is growing strongly.

This has really upset me (as if I wasn't upset enough) and I had an over whelming urge to rip all the plants up. Call me stupid but I don't want to grow them now he's now here to enjoy them let alone see them growing.
Kenny I know its early day but have you thought of continuing to grow all the vegetables and fruit you've planted and donating the surplus to a charitable organization that provides meals for the homeless in memory of Harvey?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2015, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
Kenny I know its early day but have you thought of continuing to grow all the vegetables and fruit you've planted and donating the surplus to a charitable organization that provides meals for the homeless in memory of Harvey?
That's a lovely idea chlosmum. Good always come out of evil I say, ying and yang. Nothing is ever totally bad, totally negative.

Kenny, you need to remember and rejoice the amazing connection that you had with Harvey. It has only happened to me once in life, and it happened to be with a dog, my boy Hal. June would quote her Tawney, Myra her Nigredo ... Hal would read my thoughts, he was a truly truly amazing dog, or perhaps I should say wolf cross, because he was far more wolf than he was dog.

I found peace and comfort from just simply thinking of all the adventures we had had together, all the funny moments ... like when he was just 10 weeks old and he would pounce on my husband when he was lying asleep on his back in the long grass in our garden and sink his little needle teeth into his ear! He was so joyous, so full of life, and yet when he grew up so wolfy, aloof, not liking to be hugged or cuddled, but secretly loving it, silly old git that he was!

You will have a million Harvey memories to remember, to rejoice over and thank God for.

So you sit your bum down on that bench in this beautiful sunshine that we are currently having and remember your boy ... you will find peace washing over you.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2015, 08:32 AM
Just popping in to say hope you are feeling a bit brighter today Kenny. Take care and try to think positively. You know Harvey would want you too. God bless.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Sorry I haven't managed to come back on for a while, I've been too emotional myself but I have been thinking about you.
I've rewritten this a few times as I keep end up rambling.
What I'm trying to say is that each relationship and the feelings that go with it are unique. Harvey will always have a special place in your heart and will always be with you.
You might not be able to see of feel Harvey, but he will always be with you. But he's also with his sister, with new and old friends and he's pain and seizure free.

You did everything you could, and while for you the entire experience was horrendous, I think for Harvey the last thing he would have really know is that he was at home with you. The vet never brought him out of his seizure and so he was probably unaware of where he was and what was going on.

And of course he wanted to stay with you, he, like us, doesn't understand death and what it entails. He wanted to be with you as he was for as long as possible, but now he understands that he can still be, he still is. He wanted to stay for you, regardless of his pain. His love for you is that great. Just as your love for him is what gave you the strength to let him be released from his physical form and the pain and misery that came with it.

I'm not sure of how debilitating your health is, but if and when you feel able it might be a good idea to do something that makes you get out of bed in a morning, something like volunteering. It could be at one of the numerous rescues (not necessarily dogs), or at a charity shop or something. Even if you only did a couple of hours a day. It would get you out of the house and meeting people. I know you said that you found no one wanted to be friends with a depressive, but look at all the friends you have made here. I'm sure that while some people run for the hills and stigmatise mental health issues there are plenty of others who don't and will want to be friends with you for the amazing and caring person you are.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Hi everyone

I just wanted to say hello but I haven't posted today as I had a really terrible night last night with a really vivid nightmare that has really shaken me and I had a hospital appointment this morning.

Only just got home and I will post a little later when I have got myself together a bit.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
Actually that's a lovely idea.

I know there is a food bank locally so I could see if they would accept the veg.

Thank you for that...
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-04-2015, 06:00 PM
That's a lovely idea chlosmum. Good always come out of evil I say, ying and yang. Nothing is ever totally bad, totally negative.

Kenny, you need to remember and rejoice the amazing connection that you had with Harvey. It has only happened to me once in life, and it happened to be with a dog, my boy Hal. June would quote her Tawney, Myra her Nigredo ... Hal would read my thoughts, he was a truly truly amazing dog, or perhaps I should say wolf cross, because he was far more wolf than he was dog.

I found peace and comfort from just simply thinking of all the adventures we had had together, all the funny moments ... like when he was just 10 weeks old and he would pounce on my husband when he was lying asleep on his back in the long grass in our garden and sink his little needle teeth into his ear! He was so joyous, so full of life, and yet when he grew up so wolfy, aloof, not liking to be hugged or cuddled, but secretly loving it, silly old git that he was!

You will have a million Harvey memories to remember, to rejoice over and thank God for.

So you sit your bum down on that bench in this beautiful sunshine that we are currently having and remember your boy ... you will find peace washing over you.
Hi Gnasher

What a lovely post and I love hearing about Hal, he sounds wonderful.

I think a connection like we had only happens once, yes of course we all connect with all of our furry friends but that special one like we have been discussing is so deep and true that I think it would be rare to be blessed to have it again.

A bit like finding our human soul mate, we only really have one and if we are very lucky we will find them. Well that's my belief anyway...
Page 55 of 62 « First < 5 45 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 > Last »