Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thrillmonkey
New Member!
Female 

10-10-2013, 10:54 PM

HELP!! Boyfriend hates dogs!

Hello. My boyfriend manages a stable and when he accepted the management position, that included moving into the house on the ranch property that the owner used to live in. When we first moved in (about a month ago), the owner's dog was still here at the house (the owner moved to Arizona), and we were both under the impression that the dogsitting was temporary. As it turned out, the owner revealed to us a couple weeks after moving in that he "couldn't" take the dog with him because he moved into a high rise and was not allowed pets. In addition, this dog is a VERY hyperactive springer spaniel that requires endless attention and play. And that's not the worst of it. The owner's 21-year-old daughter came and dumped her dog on us, too, just a couple of weeks ago (around the same time we found out the Springer Spaniel would be a permanent fixture), promised to be back for her yesterday, and then called yesterday saying she wasn't going to make it but she'd be here to pick up her dog "in the near future". I have had dogs my whole life and even worked at doggy-day cares, so having a dog is nothing new to me (although I've never had a dog this spastic before). However, as an adult, I have always chosen not to have dogs because I don't like them enough to want the responsibility, and think they are more effort and responsibility than they are worth. My boyfriend, however, HATES dogs. He has never had them, and has never wanted them. It's hard to watch because my otherwise loving and peaceful boyfriend wants to kill these dogs. Literally. He's threatened to kick them and hit them and I know he really wishes he could because they are constantly under foot and begging at the table and getting on the furniture (all things that are major pet peeves of his). No kidding, these dogs are really annoying and even I, who has always liked dogs and knows how to deal with them, lost patience with them sometimes. On the one hand, it's not the dogs' fault (and my boyfriend knows this but it doesn't make him less irate), but on the other hand, they were dumped on us in a very deceitful way and I can't blame my boyfriend, who is 42 and a grown-*** man, for being put in such a precarious situation that involves his job and accepting a responsibility he has always consciously avoided. I don't think this situation can be really comparable to an unplanned pregnancy, as someone else's dogs bring none of the pride and reward that a child would. Any advice on how to deal with this situation (the dogs and my boyfriend)? Do you my boyfriend's boss was wrong to do this to us?
P.S. FYI, the dogs are well taken care of, we feed them and give them fresh water, my boyfriend takes them places with him when he goes and does stuff around the ranch, and I take the spaniel jogging with me every morning. We are trying to make the best out of a bad situation, but both of us really wish it wasn't so, and they are not growing on my boyfriend... if anything he is more and more sure every day he never wants dogs.
--And we can't just get rid of them, as the owner, while abdicating his responsibility, expects us to provide a good home for the dog in the only home she's ever known.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Rehome the dogs now. Obviously you 2 don't want them there so why bother. Better to find them a place where potential abuse wouldn't be brought upon them. They deserve to be somewhere where they will be appreciated and truly loved. Very sad for these 2 dogs.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2013, 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by thrillmonkey View Post
...[snip]... When we first moved in (about a month ago), the owner's dog was still here at the house (the owner moved to Arizona), and we were both under the impression that the dogsitting was temporary.
Perhaps you should have made it a condition of your boyfriend accepting the position that the dog could only stay temporarily.

As it turned out, the owner revealed to us a couple weeks after moving in that he "couldn't" take the dog with him because he moved into a high rise and was not allowed pets. In addition, this dog is a VERY hyperactive springer spaniel that requires endless attention and play.
Did the owner not check beforehand whether he could take the dog with him?

And that's not the worst of it. The owner's 21-year-old daughter came and dumped her dog on us, too, just a couple of weeks ago (around the same time we found out the Springer Spaniel would be a permanent fixture), promised to be back for her yesterday, and then called yesterday saying she wasn't going to make it but she'd be here to pick up her dog "in the near future".
There is such a word as "No" - so why did you let the owner's daughter "dump" her dog on you?

...[snip]...P.S. FYI, the dogs are well taken care of, we feed them and give them fresh water, my boyfriend takes them places with him when he goes and does stuff around the ranch, and I take the spaniel jogging with me every morning. We are trying to make the best out of a bad situation, but both of us really wish it wasn't so, and they are not growing on my boyfriend... if anything he is more and more sure every day he never wants dogs.
As you both obviously hate having to do so, just giving the dogs food and fresh water does not, in my opinion, mean that the dogs are "well taken care of". Dogs have sensitivities and need more than just food and water - and they can probably sense your dislike of them.

--And we can't just get rid of them, as the owner, while abdicating his responsibility, expects us to provide a good home for the dog in the only home she's ever known.
Again, this should have been sorted before your boyfriend accepted the position.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Aww, poor dogs. It makes me feel so sad that they are put in such an unloved situation .

Ok, as you say, they are being fed, watered and exercised however they need so much more.

Please RE-home them
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2013, 06:32 AM
What a horrible position to be in.

What about teaching them to sit and wait at the table or just put them in a different room while you are eating?

If they jump on the furniture immediately take them off while saying something like 'off' or 'down' then treat whenever they choose to lie on the on the floor instead and maybe then you can teach them not to jump?

Maybe if they were taught better manners your boyfriend wouldn't mind them so much?

It sounds like they are pretty badly behaved and for someone who doesn't like dogs to begin with that must be pretty infuriating.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

11-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Rehome the dogs now. Obviously you 2 don't want them there so why bother. Better to find them a place where potential abuse wouldn't be brought upon them. They deserve to be somewhere where they will be appreciated and truly loved. Very sad for these 2 dogs.
Agree with the above rehome the dogs NOW!! you don't want them the owner and his daughter don't want them, so find them a home with someone who does want them
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2013, 08:15 AM
WELCOME TO DOGSEY

Feel sorry for these dogs Owners have abandoned them,which I believe is an offence I would report it and let the relevant authorities get in touch with the owners.They shouldn't get away with what they've done At least then the dogs can be re-homed.
Maybe out of line with this comment,but if my OH even thought about hitting or kicking a dog or any animal,I wouldn't be with him
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

11-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Poor bloody dogs is all I can say really, not only do their owners not give a stuff about them, they've been dumped on people who don't want them either. Rehome the dogs and give them a chance of a loving home and if keeping the dogs is a condition of having the job, change jobs.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Poor bloody dogs is all I can say really, not only do their owners not give a stuff about them, they've been dumped on people who don't want them either. Rehome the dogs and give them a chance of a loving home and if keeping the dogs is a condition of having the job, change jobs.
Just while you're on here,there is something I've been meaning to ask....any chance you might let me have Frankie??
Meg
Supervisor

11-10-2013, 08:50 AM
However, as an adult, I have always chosen not to have dogs because I don't like them enough to want the responsibility, and think they are more effort and responsibility than they are worth. My boyfriend, however, HATES dogs. He has never had them, and has never wanted them
Hello Kelsey and welcome I think it would be best for all concerned not least the dogs if you contact the nearest dog rescue center, explain the situation and hand them over.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »