View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Rips, I think she said the vet confirmed it's NOT MRSA but is similar.
Gillbo64
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Jessica, Glad you're trying the honey, it certainly has a lot of research to back it up.
I was just thinking about it & may I suggest you also give Beau some echinacea? It's a natural product which acts to boost the immune system & may speed up his recovery process.

Fingers crossed for Beau ... I also had a Black lab called Beau who died last year ... here's hoping my boy can watch over yours & help look after him xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2008, 11:11 PM
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...49#post1551649

post 80 continued..
Ok I have found some pictures, a bit worse than Beau ..
...they are at the foot of the page which takes a few moments to load. I have just been reading about various Retrievers who have had this condition ..

Warning graphic pictures , not very pleasant
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...foliaceus.html

PS Hattie the springer recovered but remained on medication , she wasn't a young dog .
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 11:14 PM
So is it just an infection that he's developed?

Poor little man, BUT look how healthy the dog in Mini's link looks after treatment and Beau isn't anywhere near as bad! He'll be right as rain in no time!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Gosh I hope he gets better soon.
The manuka honey is one of those 'wonder' things at the moment. Definitely worth a try. Gentle healing hugs for him x
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Just looked at your pictures of Beau - poor boy, he looks so very sorry for himself It looks really sore too. I hope he's starting to respond to the new antibiotics. I agree with the Manuka Honey - we use it with the parrots too and it's fab stuff
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Minihaha - thanks for the info, that could well be what it is, the vet did give it a name but my mum cant remember what it was. He said it is the canine equivilant of MRSA in that it is the closest comparison to a human disease that he could give in its severity and symptoms i guess. but it isn't actually MRSA as we know it with humans.

He is very, very quiet at the moment, just wants to sit on the sofa infront on the fire and have a cuddle. he's not wanting his walks, or even to go outside to pee!! We have to drag him out He's also lost 1kg in a week, it must be through the stress of it all as he is still eating thankfully..

Poor little man has a long way to go i think but hopefully he will get over it ok, he is a tough little man!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Ooh it does look sore.

Apologies for not reading every post (just heading out) but I wondered if the problem (being around the mouth) could be transmitted to other areas through his washing ?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Phil - The vet didnt say it could be spread like that so i dont think so, but it can (will?) spread to other parts of his body anyway so we have to keep an eye on him.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Wow that looks really sore!

Dogs can get MRSA (any animal can) as it can pass from human skin easily. Contrary to popular belief, however, MRSA is now prevalently a community acquired infection. The majority of people will have it living on their skin without any problems as MRSA is a commensal organism and will only do any harm if it gets somewhere it shouldn't (open wounds etc). It is always a very good idea to let your vet know if you are going to be at increased risk of contact with MRSA (in a job where you come into close contact with a wide variety of people, eg a Nurse ) as your pet will be at an increased risk also.

If it is MRSA the best thing you can do is place silver on it as this is the most effective way to treat it, although how you would get it on his face is beyond me?!
I'd also advise giving Beau some form of probiotic as antibiotics will strip his intestines of all bacteria (good and bad) which may result in him getting the squits! Antibiotics can also bring on C Diff in humans, not sure about dogs though. Just something to be aware of!

Hope he gets better soon poor man!
That would be Colloidal silver, which is a liquid, and is nature's own purest of pure antibiotic! I've used it for an ear infection when all else failed, I didn't drink it like I should have done, but I just threw some in my ear, and voila, overnight it went!! A complete and utter miracle! It's very expensive, I paid £12 for a small (very small!) bottle at a health food store, but I keep it in the cupboard now as an emergency, it really is brilliant! What it does is, it stops any air entering the wound as well as it's own healing properties, and when you drink it, all the nasties are dragged through the system because it's an actual metal, being silver. Hard to explain, but google it, it's marvellous stuff it really is!

Good luck with Beau, I hope he gets some relief soon.
Page 9 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 >