Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 04:46 PM
You're welcome.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't think anybody doubts that there are genuine cases of dogs ending up in rescues. My mum has taken in a couple of westies who ended up in shelters because their elderly owners had to move into nursing homes.

I do believe, however, that if animal charities and breed rescues only had those sorts of cases to deal with, we wouldn't see anything like the current numbers of dogs in shelters. So much of the problem is due to profiteering breeders, careless owners, and those idiots who jump into getting a dog without stopping to consider what breed's characteristics would suit their lifestyle.

Personally I love to meet huskies at shows and on walks, and could drool over pictures of otterhounds for hours, but what could a lazy suburban slob like me possibly offer one of the athletes of the dog world? Better to stick with a bad-tempered, antisocial, stubborn terrier like myself
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm sure that some of the dogs in shelters are there for very good and genuine reasons..I was just struck by the ones that had been "sheltered" because it was easier than walking them or getting a higher fence or sadly because they were very cute cuddly puppies that grew into dogs with specific handling/training/excercise requirements.. I just think that when people consider investing in a Puppy they need to look to the future and wether they will (to the best of their knowledge at that moment in time) try to meet their dogs needs at every stage of its life.
I think their is a lot of truth in NOVAVIZZ's statement that we live in a throwaway society.. its just soo very sad

I had to put my kitten in a shelter when I moved from a quiet cul de sac to a busy A road.. I hated doing it but I did not want her to get squashed.. my older cat went to my brother .. It broke my heart but my responsibility was to keep them both safe, In fact the lady at the shelter tried to get me to take lttle flynn home again as I was so upset, I couldn't, I knew she would end up dead on such a busy road. I am sure for a lot of animals shelters are literally life savers!

Rachel
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2