View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Here is Toffee, every single one of her ribs is showing, and she's had a litter recently...

She was the poundie I took to rescue today
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by scottish boxer
things must be very different in denmark as you only need to have a look at our web-site boxer welfare to see dogs in their new homes ,we keep in touch with all our dogs and I am sure members on here that have been kind enough to adopt a boxer from us will agree that putting them to sleep or the offer of a lovely home has no contest ,all the dogs we have re-homed are very much loved y their new mums and dads and have a lot of love to give back SURELY they deserve a second chance
It is possible things are different here. Or it is possible that we see things differently which is ok too?

I know of dogs both in DK and in the UK who have spent months in rescues, pounds or kennels and devolped what i would class as unnaturel behavior and showing signs of not doing so well. To rehome those dogs at any cost just because in our eyes a home must be better than being PTS is, imo wrong.

Thats what I´m trying to say. I´m not against rehoming, pounds, kennels, rescuecentres or whatever their names are. But I am against when we humans are doing what we think is the best for the dog, when it appears not to be. Like I said, a dead dog suffers no more - but many alive does
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 03:26 PM
I saw the thread about the dogs with PTS dates on their heads too and yes it saddened and upset me greatly.

I am well aware that thousands of healthy animals are PTS every year, but it doesn't stop me being upset by it. It seems so unjust, especially when they are only given a 7 day period to be re-homed.

I think rescue centres that take these animals in, give them veterinary care, love, walks and re-habilitate them are doing a sterling job and I admire them greatly.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 08:06 PM
This is a real can of worms here.... I agree somewhat with AMTS...

The real problem is NOT them being PTS, it's them not having a home in the first place What should be tackled is that, if we want to get anywhere.

Of course I think it's sad to end their lives when they are healthy, but if they're in for a lonely, sad, frustrating few years in a tiny kennel then maybe it's for the best?

It makes me so sad to say that... but then again I agree with euthanasia... and I'd rather go with dignity and without suffering than waste away in a hospital bed. I see both situations as very similar.

PS not that I don't admire the job that all you rescuers do... I think it's AMAZING! but unfortunately there's too few of you guys and too many dogs needing homes
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 08:58 PM
i personally think 7 days is no where near enough time to find homes for them! and what shocks me the most is healthy puppies getting pts! sureley these are the easy dogs to rehome! Im so sad i really am! i wish to dear god that something gets changed about the 7 days PTS rule and quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 09:00 PM
But the 7 days isn't for the dogs to find a 'home'.
If they aren't moved from the pound within 7 days, then where to the next lot of strays go?
You have to have a time limit, as there are dogs being picked up constantly.

Not all pounds operate the PTS rule.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 09:58 PM
i know but still sad they have so little time dont u think?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Deffinately Hayley....but it's a vicious circle isn't it
geordieboxerlover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2005, 11:43 PM
we have an adopted boxer
he's in his forever home here to stay till his dying day :smt049
but...
my pal told me about a dog she knew from a rescue who has now been sent back because of his "bad habits" chewing etc while left alone
i only wish some would just take a step back and think why these dogs are there in the first place.. 99% of them aint there because they are perfect dogs they are there because the previous owners could not cope with them
they are in a way "special need" dogs they need time and love they need time to fit in a home and be trained
it breaks my heart to hear of dogs in rescue's, pound's etc
but also it breaks my heart to hear that these dogs thinking they are now in a "forever home" are returned because of their "special needs"
cycas
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Many dogs in rescue aren't there because of their own behaviour - they really aren't. They are in rescue because their owners got divorced, moved abroad, had a baby, got ill, had to move to unsuitable accommodation, lost their job, became homeless, died...

Those dogs are just like your dog or mine - not problem dogs, just unlucky.

Not all rescue dogs come from pounds.

Plus of course there are all the ex-racing greyhounds (like mine!) - thousands retire every year - far too many are bred to be able to home all of them. They aren't in rescue because of behavioural problems either - they are there because there are other dogs that can run faster.

And all the staffies, bred because someone had the idea that you could get money for puppies. They aren't in for behaviour problems: they are in because there are just too many being bred and there's nowhere else for them to go.

They may need a bit of time and training to get settled - but what new puppy doesn't?

If fewer dogs were bred, fewer dogs would end up with 7-day waits in the pound and the long sleep at the end of it.

I'm not saying dogs with behavioural problems don't come into pounds or rescues. But very often these are still not *bad* dogs - not even dogs with serious problems. They are dogs that need a bit of direction, a lot more exercise, and an owner that knows that life with dogs can sometimes be a bit messy, and is prepared to try, say, crate training, or think about getting a dog walker.

Most dogs that go from pounds to rescues don't spend that long in kennels: they move on to homes. Long stay dogs will often be given extra care by the kennel staff and volunteers. Unfortunately, because rescues need to keep dogs moving through it can be harder to find rescue places for the unwanted types of dog such as bull breeds.

Most good rescues will provide followup advice and help, and will assess the home and the dog to make sure they fit each other, to reduce the likelihood that the dog will have to be returned.
Page 6 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >