View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm not getting into the daft debate of 'why breed or buy while others die' most of you know my feelings on it - and those who don't i am sure can guess.

and if you can't guess - I disagree wholeheartedly with the statement.

anyway - i can tell you for one thing that the problem is even worse in Ireland than in the UK - which says a lot and as you know our Dudley was rescued from a roadside, where he had been dumped. If we had taken him to any of the local irish rescues, he would have been PTS.

But I still 100% back responsible breeding. Without it, dog ownership would die out fairly quickly - and we would be supporting puppy farmers etc. They fill the rescues. not the good breeders.

xx
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:19 PM
The RSPCA publishes every year the number of dogs PTS and they would appear to be quite pleased with themselves too as I seem to remember that a few years ago they even produced a poster that showed a pile of dead dogs. Don't think it did their image much good and seem to remember they were banned from Crufts that year too, that also must have put a dent in the finances, and they must have had a good deal less to spend on their political lobbing.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:28 PM
I back reputable breeders who take every care in their dogs, who have contracts for breeders etc & only breed their bitch 3 times. But i don't agree in breeding for money. I've heard of people who do this & in my eyes they are not dog lovers. I had alot of interest in my red & white BC. I had many offers asking me if they could have one of her pups if i ever bred from her. Over my dead body would i ever have thought about breeding with her. I love my dogs & i have had a brief involvement with these pound dogs. It was not nice.
So WHY BREED, WHEN OTHER DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Oh! & i don't see anything daft about dogs having to be PTS. This country is getting as bad as Ireland & Wales.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Thank you for clearing that up - i was not aware that you did back good breeders - thoug hi would say any more than 2 litters is too many - and more than one for anything but the most exceptional bitches is too many.

WHY BREED, WHEN OTHER DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I still don't like that statement though - i find it offensive. but that's just me.

eta. I never said that anything was daft about dogs being pts. I said I think that the above statement is a daft one.

xx
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Why?
Why buy dogs when you can give a dog a good home from a rescue & make room for these desperate pound dogs, before they are PTS.

Hense the saying.......WHY BUY, WHILE OTHERS DIE!!!!!

I would say it was a very reasonable statement & it has probably saved lives!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:44 PM
It can be a reasonable statement, but some people are not in the position to rescue.
I wanted a bullbreed, but to rescue, I needed experience.
I bought a puppy, and now I have experience to rescue in the future.
Some people have babies/small children, and a lot f rescues will not re-home with families with young kids.

There are so many reasons, and buying a pup is right for some people, where as getting a rescue is right for others.

You say 'Why buy', but where do you draw the line at breeding? Stop breeding until there are no dogs left in rescue? Then breed, then stop breeding when the rescue situation gets a problem again?

Some dogs were bought as puppies, cared for, loved, but have been taken into rescue for proper, decent reasons - such as death/illness in the family.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jules1
Why?
Why buy dogs when you can give a dog a good home from a rescue & make room for these desperate pound dogs, before they are PTS.

Hense the saying.......WHY BUY, WHILE OTHERS DIE!!!!!

I would say it was a very reasonable statement & it has probably saved lives!

Have to say I agree. At the end of the day there are too may dogs in rescues. full stop... there isnt enough people to take on these dogs and plenty of people going out and getting pups -
reputable breeders - thats great - but what about reputable owners ? people who take puppies from breeders good or otherwise - particularly at this time of year - how many breeders actually know where all their bred dogs are now and that they arent actually in a rescue centre somewhere ???

most rescue centres get horrendously full at this time of year as certain members of the wonderful public chuck out the old dogs/badly behaved etc etc to make way for the new..
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=Hevvur]You say 'Why buy', but where do you draw the line at breeding? Stop breeding until there are no dogs left in rescue? Then breed, then stop breeding when the rescue situation gets a problem again?
QUOTE]

why not - to be honest I would love to see this happen -am sure it would take years!
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Its one of those agree to disagree debates where i don't like to dwell on too much!
I have 2 KC reg BCs which i bought off reputable breeders. And 1 welsh WSD i rescued.
Where are the other litter mates to me 2 KC reg, the breeders don't know. Who knows anything in this world. We don't cos its such a cruel world.
Matters like this we have to stick together and help support these poor animals. Cutting down the breeders will help. And bringing back the dog licence.
Ooooooh i don't know, could bring back hanging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This subject fustrates the hell out of me. wish i could do more to help!!!!!!!
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »