View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 11:54 AM
I think its totally sick. Surely the goverment could do something, like giving money to the rescue centres to expand and have more kennels. To put a 10 week old puppy to sleep just because the owner doesnt want it is awful.

None of the dogs have vaccinations so i couldn't risk my dogs getting sick but i feel so bad. Those poor dogs
MBll
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Jessica
I am really tempted to take a couple but i couldnt keep them and i dont know what i'd do with them. It seems very wrong that they can do this though, surely its illegal to put dogs to sleep after only a week? What if someone is desperately looking for their pet and its been killed! That would be so awful.

For anyone taking a dog from a council run pound be aware that the dogs are not assessed there is no history to these dogs. Bringing a dog into a home with kids & other animals that you have can be risky as no idea how they will react to them. I believe that those rescues that deal with pounds do not rehome dogs before thy can assess them
spot
Dogsey Veteran

25-11-2005, 11:58 AM
No its not illegal and its very common practice. These are the local pounds, not rescue centres. Local councils have an obligation to take dogs off the streets, these then go to the local pound where they are kept for 7 days and then their time is up. Not all pounds pts immediately it depends very much on the room they have available, but the more dogs coming in the more room they have to clear for them - they are obliged to take in stray dogs.

Many rescues work to get those dogs whose time is up out and on to rescues or shelters, a lot of people will be out there working on this right now, looking for places in already full rescues, volunteers to transport them to safety, where they can be assessed and looked after.

It is tempting to think yes I could take some but these dogs are most often not assessed with other dogs, people etc, there simply isnt time to do that so its rescue places that are needed. One thing people could do to make a difference is offer to transport, or offer to foster a dog already assessed thus freeing up a space in a rescue to a dog under threat of pts.

edit to add according to the dogs trust 21 dogs are pts every day through no fault of their own. Local authorities picked up 105,000 stray dogs in the last year - thats about the size of the problem.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 12:38 PM
I think the only way to stop this is to regulate breeding, not really sure how but i think if it could be done there might be fewer unwanted dogs and hopefully less need for kennells and these awful pounds.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Of course healthy dog are being PTS everyday. It happens in the UK and it happens here in DK.

It is a result of the way we breed and keep dogs - and it happens with cats, horses, rabbits, you name it aswell.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 01:22 PM
As you know, I do transport volunteer to save 'pound dgs'.
If a place in rescue can be found, I transport them from the local pound, either t another kennels/rescue that has a space near me, or to someone else, who takes them further away, to another kennels/rescue.

From the rescues, the dogs can be assessed, health checked, and hopefully re-homed.
I am doing a 'run' tomorrow, for a whippet girl.

A lot of these dogs are microchipped, but the owners haven't updated their contact details, and can't be contacted, or the owners say they don't want them anymore.

Most of the dogs are not vaccinated, flea or worm treated, and none have been assessed, as the pound is just a place for them to stay before their fate is decided.

The kennels I work at, act as a 'holding' place for stray dogs, before being transported to the pound I volunteer at.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Shocking and upsetting as it is, there are 1000s of healthy unwanted dogs put to sleep in this country every year

Council-run pounds do put dogs to sleep if they are not claimed by their owners after 7 days to make room for more strays coming in. The lucky ones will be taken from the pound by breed rescue and general rescue centres if they have the room.

It is a horrendous problem and there seems to be no forthcoming solution
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 04:23 PM
even places such as dog trust do unfortunatly have to put healthy dogs to sleep if there is no more room sad I know but its fact everyone in rescue centres do their very best but unfortunatly there is only so much that can be done ,we collected a dog from dogs trust just the other week that was due to be pts they contact breed rescues/welfares in most cases and if they can help they do ,the boy is now in a very happy home now by the way
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 04:44 PM
its the whole reason I despair of all the puppies that are born - dont get me wrong I lurve puppies - but do we really need anymore.. we have so many dogs in rescue and getting PTS EVERY day and yet we also have tonnes of puppies being born too EVERY day.

its very very sad and depresses me.

dani
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 04:48 PM
I hate the thought of other people breeding with their dogs while others are PTS, just for the sake of the experience! I don't agree with it.

WHY BUY, WHILE OTHERS DIE!!!!!
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »