Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Had a upsetting evening yesterday, and to be honest probably not in favour at the moment but I don't give a F***.
I haven't been to Pat's mom's for a long time now, because (told this story before) she has a SBTxTerrier which I felt she should not have, due to her age (72) and the fact that he is definately the wrong dog for her.
Well yesterday I relented.....and was horrified, to find that now he is completed confined to outside, chained to a kennel, albeit a long chain...but worse he is so agressive towards people.

I was advise not to touch, but after sitting on the back doorstep for a great length of time, I managed to ''talk'' him round enough to get him near me and finally let me stroke him.
He has issues about having the chain being touched, his collar touched etc., finally allowing me to unchain him (that took some time) as each time I went to do it he turned on me, but I persuaded him in the end that my arm wasn't a biting stick
I had a major problem when I tried putting a lead on....obviously being on a chain has done nothing to help in that department, but with some treats etc., I finally got there, and took him for a walk over Small Heath park....my he was so thrilled out being out he went wild....all this mind took 3 1/2 hours just to get him out..
Brought him back 1 hours later and REFUSED to re-chain him up.....so me a MIL have had serious words.
Now I hear what she is saying too old to walk him etc etc., but she really needs to LISTEN to me......she shouldn't have a dog full stop then. I told her that all this ''he's afraid of woman'' is a load of codswobble, as he wasn't before she got him, now he has turn aggressive and i can forsee disaster because one day he will turn on her and do her alot of harm, what with her age and such......
How long can you argue with a stupid woman who will not listen to a word your saying, does not feeding the dog in a dish to throwing food to him...show you something. or am I going mad.
My SIL has reported her to the RSPCA and because he is so well fed and housed they are powerless to do anything, but they have advised her about his aggression towards HER and the dangers...........NERNERNERNER not listening.......

So thats my rant over, I will go and walk him, but unfortunately it can not be every day, but at least I can relieve some of his bordom...........

How many years do you get for murdering a old lady.....
I have spoken to the family this morning and whilst I try to get him back to how he used to be.....they are all going to try and get her to allow us to try and rehome him.....if I can not turn him around well......... no pressure there then

Have e mailed you hun,

Elaine xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Well done again Steph for trying to help this poor dog out.
I agree it is no life for this poor boy being chained up all the time that is probably why he ha an issue with the chain.

Hope it all sorts itself out satisfactorily. When do you get tine to eat and sleep ?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
That poor wee dog.

I just can't see a happy ending to this at the moment
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I can sympathise with these family issues. They eat you alive.
As others have suggested can't the dog 'accidently' slip his collar? thing is that where can he go when he does?
I wonder if also a word with an organisation such as Help the Aged or similar might be an idea. Old woman - apparently losing her marbles with a dog that wants to savage her - worried for her safety etc etc. This might get the dog PTS though.
Good luck - its horrible that you've been put into this situation.
Chin up
Hilary
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Thank goodness he's got you but it's not right at all, I agree.

I'm surprised the sitation is still as above, because doesn't the Animal welfare Act come more into play? I thought animals had to be able to express their own behaviours for instance, that sort of thing...
which he clearly cannot do!

Wys
x
Originally Posted by suze View Post
gawd hun id hate to be in your shoes

i hope you can get this sorted soon...

(((hug)))
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Its a £50 quid fine for a slap, could be worth it...
Originally Posted by queenwillow View Post
trouble is he only has you to fight his corner i know what about a cat she only has to put the food out , a cat will take its self ,off out if you go and take him out enough , he might just break free ,and follow you home if he could talk ,he would tell you ,he hated her as well poor little soul
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Fingers crossed and prayers for a dog loving priest. Well done you for trying to help her
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Good Luck Well Done for helping this dog the best you can x
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Well done again Steph for trying to help this poor dog out.
I agree it is no life for this poor boy being chained up all the time that is probably why he ha an issue with the chain.

Hope it all sorts itself out satisfactorily. When do you get tine to eat and sleep ?
Benzmum has sent me a link that is a rescue for aggressive dogs which can offer to keep them if they can not be rehab'd to be rehomed.
The hard work begins trying to get Pats mom to understand that she isn't doing this dog any favours as she can not see that she is doing anything wrong.....to her it is just a dog

£50 for a slap eh! well worth the £50 pounds I think.

As for time to eat and sleep, well I was telling hali that last weeks i felt terrible and so tired....looks like that will continue then.
QW she does have a cat....I got it her 3 years ago when she was saying she was lonely....some good that did then the cat is fine though as he's always asleep on the bed...

But did you know cats and dogs are different!!!!!, cats come come and go and are independant..........
Dogs are just dogs.. ...but they have a use....guarding the back of the house incase someone climbs over the fence.....her words not mine
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Benzmum has sent me a link that is a rescue for aggressive dogs which can offer to keep them if they can not be rehab'd to be rehomed.
The hard work begins trying to get Pats mom to understand that she isn't doing this dog any favours as she can not see that she is doing anything wrong.....to her it is just a dog

£50 for a slap eh! well worth the £50 pounds I think.

As for time to eat and sleep, well I was telling hali that last weeks i felt terrible and so tired....looks like that will continue then.
QW she does have a cat....I got it her 3 years ago when she was saying she was lonely....some good that did then the cat is fine though as he's always asleep on the bed...

But did you know cats and dogs are different!!!!!, cats come come and go and are independant..........
Dogs are just dogs.. ...but they have a use....guarding the back of the house incase someone climbs over the fence.....her words not mine
I was seeing red before but now I'm just fuming!! The woman is quite off her rocker. I feel for you, I really do. How frustrating to feel so powerless but, well, thank God he has you to be honest.

Good luck with it all and keep us posted. I hope something can happen soon.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I was seeing red before but now I'm just fuming!! The woman is quite off her rocker. I feel for you, I really do. How frustrating to feel so powerless but, well, thank God he has you to be honest.

Good luck with it all and keep us posted. I hope something can happen soon.
Thanks hun, unfortunately we have had quite a big row (not the first I hasten to add) over the dog. At the moment I feel she is digging in her heels, becuase after all she is 72.....and WE do not treat dogs like they used to in the olden day (again her words not mine) instead we ''mother'' them, dogs were born to guard and do a job, appreciate that they are being fed and earn thier keep.....

Bet you didn;t all know that did you....so glad i was told that I would hate to come home and ''mother'' my dogs. (mental note....my dogs must earn thier keep...I know we could send them out with a begging bowl)
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Oh Steph, you have enough to cope with atm. As others have said, there really is only you and Pat. I think Angie's idea of getting the Priest involved is a good one..Your MIL's generation tend to look up to them and take their advice don't they. If you can get him on side then you could think about that re-homing place for aggressive dogs.

It's so frustrating when you see old fashioned methods still being used, but again hun, it's a generation thing. I can remember my Dad doing the rubbing the nose thing when I was a child and I got so upset, he never did it again.

Dont know what else to suggest but as I say get the Priest on side, and look into the re-homing site and see if they can help.

Elaine xx
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Oh Steph, you have enough to cope with atm. As others have said, there really is only you and Pat. I think Angie's idea of getting the Priest involved is a good one..Your MIL's generation tend to look up to them and take their advice don't they. If you can get him on side then you could think about that re-homing place for aggressive dogs.

It's so frustrating when you see old fashioned methods still being used, but again hun, it's a generation thing. I can remember my Dad doing the rubbing the nose thing when I was a child and I got so upset, he never did it again.

Dont know what else to suggest but as I say get the Priest on side, and look into the re-homing site and see if they can help.

Elaine xx
I think that's a very good idea. I bet she'd listen to some well respected outsiders as it sounds like she is a stubborn old boot!!

Really think it's worth a go. xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post

Elaine xx
Well thats Plan A......F*** knows what plan B is if that fails.
Frustrating thing is 2 years ago i said NO don;t let her have one.....but as usual NOT all the family agreed......now that it's all going t*ts-up they are the ones that are staying out of it.....left to those that said No
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 06:01 PM
What the hell is the dog guarding tied up? It can't go anywhere!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
What the hell is the dog guarding tied up? It can't go anywhere!
Must be the Kennel.........did cost £55 quid you know to get made
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >