View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2009, 02:43 PM
I have a boomer ball, a wubba (that Shadow takes everywhere now) and kongs all have last quiet a while now
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-05-2009, 04:46 PM
The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not there to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed. I don't trust any of the consumable chews. The dogs just gnaw them down to a dangerous size too quickly. These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive chewers such as Labs.

Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Many dogs aren't interested in a slick, new Nylabone. I think they are putting the nubby texture on more of them now. I think it is part of the reason so many dogs like the hard to find dinosaur ones. The ultimate is the Souper Size Galileo Nylabone. It is about 7 inches long and 3 inches around. It has the slick surface. They are more attractive if you rough up the surface with sand paper or by rubbing it on a concrete floor. Another technique is to jam a Nylabone into a Kong creating what I call a twofer. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not there to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed. I don't trust any of the consumable chews. The dogs just gnaw them down to a dangerous size too quickly. These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive chewers such as Labs.

Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

Many dogs aren't interested in a slick, new Nylabone. I think they are putting the nubby texture on more of them now. I think it is part of the reason so many dogs like the hard to find dinosaur ones. The ultimate is the Souper Size Galileo Nylabone. It is about 7 inches long and 3 inches around. It has the slick surface. They are more attractive if you rough up the surface with sand paper or by rubbing it on a concrete floor. Another technique is to jam a Nylabone into a Kong creating what I call a twofer. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

My lot chew on the huge Dino bones quite happily without them being roughed up although we do rub marmite on it to begin with to make it more appealing. They also come in different shapes. We have a turkey leg, a beef bone and a dinosaur bone one.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Have you tried the knotted rope balls?
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Have you tried the knotted rope balls?
I have and they lasted 10 minutes before Shadow manged to pull it apart so it was rope (no linger a ball) and we had threads going from the bedroom to the bathroom lol
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

22-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
I have and they lasted 10 minutes before Shadow manged to pull it apart so it was rope (no linger a ball) and we had threads going from the bedroom to the bathroom lol
We had the same problem and Rio swallows it whereas the others tend to leave the bits all over the floor. Some of Rio's poo was more rope than anything else. Not good.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
We had the same problem and Rio swallows it whereas the others tend to leave the bits all over the floor. Some of Rio's poo was more rope than anything else. Not good.

Snap! If I dont get it off Shadow in time he's either left half the threads every where or eats them and has stringy poop for the next few days
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2