Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by BigV View Post

for the record I have no real issue with ball throwing personally.

Ball hater

I've never met a nasty ball. Met lots of lousy throwers, though.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I don't think obsessive ball throwing is a constructive way to exercise a dog, especially a young one. Although it exercises them physically it also gives them a large adrenaline rush; not great for getting a dog to settle.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't think obsessive ball throwing is a constructive way to exercise a dog, especially a young one. Although it exercises them physically it also gives them a large adrenaline rush; not great for getting a dog to settle.
Yep - I'd agree. There are situations where ball obsession can be useful - but it needs a degree of control as well.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2009, 11:29 AM
If used properly, as in training to wait for the next throw, only throwing when it suits you, it can train them to focus no matter how excited they are or how much of an adrenaline rush they have. Isn't that what we all want? A dog that will focus on us no matter what the distraction.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Yep - I'd agree. There are situations where ball obsession can be useful - but it needs a degree of control as well.
Yup. I find controlled retrieves (having the dog 'sit' and 'stay', walking off and chucking the training dummy and sending the dog in to hunt for it) to be far more satisfying mentally for a dog. A couple of long-ish distance controlled retrieves where my dog has to use his brain and he is pooped.

I only ever use a ball launcher on the beach for short periods. We play for 10 minutes then it gets put away.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
If used properly, as in training to wait for the next throw, only throwing when it suits you, it can train them to focus no matter how excited they are or how much of an adrenaline rush they have. Isn't that what we all want? A dog that will focus on us no matter what the distraction.
IMO when it is played sporadically it isn't in issue. But when you see dogs that are literally shaking and salivating looking for a ball constantly when it isn't even there (yes, I know dogs like this!) you have to question how suitable a form of exercise it is. Obbession is never healthy.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I know what he said - I heard it! He said throwing balls for dogs makes them aggressive. He did not use the words prey drive or instinct or excite. He then said people should never throw balls for dogs.
I use play to train. This includes retrieve and play as a reward.
So do a lot of people - including those who do Flyball and Obedience. I haven`t noticed all the flyball teams on Crufts having that many problems with aggression.
IMO when it is played sporadically it isn't in issue. But when you see dogs that are literally shaking and salivating looking for a ball constantly when it isn't even there (yes, I know dogs like this!) you have to question how suitable a form of exercise it is. Obbession is never healthy.
Not what the guy said though was it? Surely common sense has to come into play at some point and there is a massive gap between never throwing a ball and constantly throwing a ball.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Enough balls now......... Not so much OT as OTT
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4