Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MystixRiverRage
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2009, 03:51 PM

How can i Stop my GSD pulling when walking

I've just taken Avek for todays walk and while there is no threat he pulls hard on his lead, when someone passes he stops dead, i continue walking confidently and when the person/dogs have passed he then again starts to pull, i have tryed pulling him slightly sideways and stopping altogether when he pulls but soon as we start to walk again he starts to pull... he is already very very strong, if i can not learn this one, he will be to strong for me(and i am not a small person) please can anyone help?
thanks River
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Avek is still young so everything he sees and smells is all very exciting or frightening for him. My idea would be to teach him a command in the house like "close" or "heal" then gradually build up to using this outside.

Get one of Aveks favourite toys and squeak it get him all interested in it and then get him to follow you closely whilst he is focussed on the toy, uising whatever command you have chosen. It has to be a fabourite toy (possibly only used in training so it is of really high value to him)

Start by doing this for very short periods and maybe repeating 2 or 3 times. Repeat over several days Once you have Avek following you where you want try zig zaging and changing direction and walking in circles until he gets the idea (build this up gradually) After a short time of him doing what you want reward with praise and a game

He will then know what the command means and you can start to do the same outside with the same toy. Again this is something to gradually work up to.

Eventually you should be able to say the command without the toy and get the response you want.

Also if he pulls on the lead change direction immediately, even if this means you end up going 2 steps forward and 1 step back, using the chosen command as you are changing direction this has to be done the minute, no second, he starts to pull

As I say you may end up looking a bit daft as you do this BUT he'll get the message he doesn't want to keep changing direction. Remember that praise and treats and luring with toys is the way to go with this bright youmg lad. He's smart and he wants to please you he just needs to know HOW to please you. But buy teaching the command and then reinforcing it you can crack this before he ends up a 1 year old taking you for a walk.

Training classses when you start will really help you and you won't feel so alone as what you are going through is what every decent owner goes through - training their dog. You'll get their.

I'm sure others will be alomg to offer some more/bettre ideas for you
nikki_kev
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2009, 04:46 PM
I see a lot of GSD being walked on canny collars.
I also have one for my bitch and she walks brillianlty on it.

x
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2009, 05:04 PM
The dogmatic headcollars are also very good.
MystixRiverRage
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2009, 05:15 PM
i have a headcollar for him, but i am aprehencive to use it yet as going out it still very traumatic for him...i take treats with me but i'm sure i use them at the wrong time...i try using them once the person/dog has passed..is this the right time?
MystixRiverRage
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2009, 05:16 PM
what is a canny collar please?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Canny Collar is an excellent headcollar. I use one with my GSD and it is great.
MystixRiverRage
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Avek is very nervous outside, wouldn't putting the canny collar on him make him more nervous..he is only 16 1/2 weeks and really hates going out. as soon as anyone in the house puts thier coat on, he runs to his bed...i have to lift him down the front steps when going out..then he pulls untill he feels threatned, then stops altogether untill he feels the danger has passed....i try to be confident when people/dogs are coming towards us by keeping the pace, but he just stops dead in his tracks. i don't like draggin him so i have to stop to...i have been told me stopping to isn't helping him. how can i help him not to worry when being approached from the opposite direction?
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:15 PM
I would give him the treats as people are approaching as this is when he will feel most threatened - he could think you are rewarding him when people have gone which might reinforce his fears. Our dog trainer, who has a GSD, recommends head collars to give you more control, but she also says they can help dogs feel more confident as the band across the nose can have a calming effect. I would imagine if it makes you more confident it will have the same effect on your dog. The dogmatic is good as it does not rub or ride up.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Is he interested in toys outside (I'm thinking he probs won't be if he is so scared, but I'm hoping her is)
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »