Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-06-2006, 11:12 AM

Dogs in regard to different cultures

Hi all,

This is just a quick post, going on from the thread where it was stated that Muslims (no disrespect) cannot have dogs near them because they have to go through a complicated washing procedure.

I was curious about this, so I asked Raashid, he's one of the members of our local Royal British Legion, (which I'm the Voluntary Secretary of) as he's a Muslim and I always ask him anything I want to know.

He said that if a Muslim is on their way to the Mosque to pray, then that is when they have to be careful not to come into contact with dogs, if they do, they have to do all this washing procedure.

He said that at any other time, it doesn't matter.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Thats interesting ,we've just returned from maylasia, from my sons wedding ,and while there we met his inlaws ,who keep two dogs ,we were interested to hear that both dogs are "house dogs" mostly and if they are walked they are never allowed off lead ,as kuala lumpur is predominattly a muslim country ,and muslim as we were told have nothing to do with dogs in general,and as a matter of interest when we ask for bacon and eggs we were ask which bacon ,beef of chicken ?? apparently muslims dont eat pork ,you could also get chiken sausages
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Radar Ears
Hi all,

This is just a quick post, going on from the thread where it was stated that Muslims (no disrespect) cannot have dogs near them because they have to go through a complicated washing procedure.

I was curious about this, so I asked Raashid, he's one of the members of our local Royal British Legion, (which I'm the Voluntary Secretary of) as he's a Muslim and I always ask him anything I want to know.

He said that if a Muslim is on their way to the Mosque to pray, then that is when they have to be careful not to come into contact with dogs, if they do, they have to do all this washing procedure.

He said that at any other time, it doesn't matter.

Hmm that might explain why four muslim children who go to the junior school who we sometimes pass on the pavement press themselves up to the wall so that Benji doesn't touch them and then one day the biggest one of them said he was 'Evil' I was fuming at her - how can a cute white fluffy dog be 'evil' but perhaps thats why they do this.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2006, 06:43 PM
You cant really blame the children Foxy cause it would have been the parents who would have taught them that dogs are 'evil'.Sad though that people have chosen the UK as their home-sometimes generations ago,but breed hate or atleast sheer fear into their offspring and obviously cannot accept dogs into everyones society.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
You cant really blame the children Foxy cause it would have been the parents who would have taught them that dogs are 'evil'.Sad though that people have chosen the UK as their home-sometimes generations ago,but breed hate or atleast sheer fear into their offspring and obviously cannot accept dogs into everyones society.
I wasn't blaming them Steve, but was just a bit shocked that they could think a small white happy looking dog like Benji could be evil - if I had Sabre on the end of the lead then yes I could understand it but not Benji
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Its nothing personal towards Benji when they said he was evil Foxy-you could have been walking a hamster on a lead and they would have said the same!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Each to their own I suppose I'd rather they hated them than ate them like some foreigners do!!!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
Its nothing personal towards Benji when they said he was evil Foxy-you could have been walking a hamster on a lead and they would have said the same!

Well then I would have agreed with them cos our hamster IS evil - a right nasty little sod who screeches at you sometimes when you go near her cage
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Well then I would have agreed with them cos our hamster IS evil - a right nasty little sod who screeches at you sometimes when you go near her cage
I had a Chinese hamster once that used to bite me. It really hurt too!
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 09:03 PM
i just have given up now, i walk ben where ever i want to, and if they dont like it, they can cross the road im not going to walk out of my way to avoid a conflict, i just dont let it bother me know, lifes too short for petty silliness.