View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 10:45 AM
But then you get the fact that a working litter may be bred, but some aren't right for working....
Just like when you breed a litter, hoping for show standard pups, and only one or two, or sometimes none, are fit for showing.

It's one of those situations, where you can't win either way!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm sorry.. But I have to disagree with this...

I for one, dont feel I'm experienced enough to take a rescue dog in.

I haven't had dogs before I got Luna.. And I could not take in a dog, who were handed in for some odd reason.

Yes if they were young puppies I might, but not a dog, who is 1-2 or 3 years (or more) old.

They have learned their "ways" and I'm not experienced enough to make them forget all the habits they've learned. So why risk taking a rescue dog, and maybe having to give it up again a few months later, leaving us both sad and despirited (is that a word?)
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Most animal shelters do not PTS healthy dogs.The dogs on the other forum are being posted since the usual big rescue forum is off line.The dogs in question are usually dogs looking for either homes or rescue places as they are often strays from police station or are in places where they do PTS dogs.The forum that usually deals with these posts has a weekly post that 'advertises' dogs due to be PTS...there is often 20+ dogs on this list.People on the forum ,many who are involved in rescue, then do their best to find places for these dogs.These people do wonderful work....this is not some sick way of encouraging people to give these dogs a home!! IT IS A SERIOUS POST!!!
Hope the usual forum gets up and running soon....it is a life saver for thousands of dogs with dozens of dogs needing homes being advertised at any one time
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 10:48 AM
DELETED...
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 11:05 AM
All the dogs no the weekly poundies post will get PTS unless a rescue place is found for them.
It's the same every week of the year...they have 7 days to find a place, otherwise PTS.

I am heading off to that particular pound for 12pm, to pick up 1 girl who has found a place.
None of the others from the list currently up have found a safe place yet, and there will be another list up later today or tomorrow.

One lady is driving for the whole of today to save a poundie who's 7 days are up!
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
All the dogs no the weekly poundies post will get PTS unless a rescue place is found for them.
It's the same every week of the year...they have 7 days to find a place, otherwise PTS.

I am heading off to that particular pound for 12pm, to pick up 1 girl who has found a place.
None of the others from the list currently up have found a safe place yet, and there will be another list up later today or tomorrow.

One lady is driving for the whole of today to save a poundie who's 7 days are up!
Well done Hevvur! People like you and this other lady make the world a nicer and SAFER place for our 4 legged freinds!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
I'm sorry.. But I have to disagree with this...

I for one, dont feel I'm experienced enough to take a rescue dog in.

I haven't had dogs before I got Luna.. And I could not take in a dog, who were handed in for some odd reason.

Yes if they were young puppies I might, but not a dog, who is 1-2 or 3 years (or more) old.

They have learned their "ways" and I'm not experienced enough to make them forget all the habits they've learned. So why risk taking a rescue dog, and maybe having to give it up again a few months later, leaving us both sad and despirited (is that a word?)

but I hadnt had a dog before Bruno - although my Oh had.
However even with all his horrid behaviour after 2 days I had fallen for him and wouldnt have given him up for anything.

Many dogs in rescue arent there because of behaviour, more for no fault of their own etc and many can be trained - You can train an old dog new tricks...

You dont have to have prevously had a dog to takle on a rescue - as long as you are aware of the dogs behaviour then you have the decision to take them on or not.

most rescues also have a adoption scheme whereby after 2 weeks you can return the dog if its really not working out.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 02:06 PM
I know this is really sad and I wish it were another way. But looking at it realistically, every dog needs someone to look after it, like you said Jessica, you would love to take them but can't keep them - that's the same case for a lot of people and the centres themselves.

If the pound can't keep all the dogs, what else are they to do? I know a week seems a ridiculous amount of time, but what can they do? There are too many dogs needing homes and unfortunately it's the dogs that suffer not the people who take on more than they can handle or the people who breed irresponsibly.

There's nothing that can be done if there's no space and it's how it has to work...
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Maybe this a whole other debate, but do everyone think that dogs in a kennel or pound is a "happy" dog? Or that it is ok for a dog to be returned to one once, twice or more?

I would think twice before I ever handed in any dog to any pound or kennel.
If I couldnt rehome it myself, I´d prob get it PTS than handing it over not knowing for how long it would be there, how many times it would be rehomed or how it would effect my dog being in such place. A dead dog or animal for that matter feels no pain - but many animals alive do. Even though we try our best to make it as good a life for them as possible.

I dont know how many can follow what I´m trying to say, but my years in rescue showed me a not so pretty picture of how things work. We try our best, but sometimes what we seems best isnt the best for the animals.
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by amts
Maybe this a whole other debate, but do everyone think that dogs in a kennel or pound is a "happy" dog? Or that it is ok for a dog to be returned to one once, twice or more?

I would think twice before I ever handed in any dog to any pound or kennel.
If I couldnt rehome it myself, I´d prob get it PTS than handing it over not knowing for how long it would be there, how many times it would be rehomed or how it would effect my dog being in such place. A dead dog or animal for that matter feels no pain - but many animals alive do. Even though we try our best to make it as good a life for them as possible.

I dont know how many can follow what I´m trying to say, but my years in rescue showed me a not so pretty picture of how things work. We try our best, but sometimes what we seems best isnt the best for the animals.
things must be very different in denmark as you only need to have a look at our web-site boxer welfare to see dogs in their new homes ,we keep in touch with all our dogs and I am sure members on here that have been kind enough to adopt a boxer from us will agree that putting them to sleep or the offer of a lovely home has no contest ,all the dogs we have re-homed are very much loved y their new mums and dads and have a lot of love to give back SURELY they deserve a second chance
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »