View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-06-2005, 12:12 AM
I to am haunted by the thought of dogs loose in cars . I will not name the breed but some years ago a couple were on their way to a show traveling on the motorway it was early morning and still dark .Their estate car was in collision with a lorry, one person was killed and the dogs which were loose in the car escaped onto the motorway and got killed ..they were not seen in the dark.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2005, 01:19 AM
It's terrible to even think about isn't it mini.

How do yours travel, if you don't mind me asking, I am interested in hearing about as many 'safe' ideas that I can get!...and I bet you have it sorted!
Buster & Bella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2005, 06:36 AM
oh my god now i am worried.

but saying that we dotn travel far with buster often and to be honest i am unablt to fit a crate in the car or afford one so maybe i need to get a harness.

i wish i were rich i would have a proper car for buster like an estate and have it specially fit.... ho hum maybe if i won the lottery, but saying that if i won the lottery i would buy a bigger house and have more dogs he he!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by buster
i wish i were rich i would have a proper car for buster like an estate
Nah, I don't think you would want my car, like I said its more in a state, than an estate.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 09:03 AM
I drive a hi top transit van, and its fitted out with crates fro my dogs, theres no way nowadays I would travel with a loose dog in the car, although many years ago I did and it never crossed my mind that a loose dog in an accident can cause more damage to other passengers than the accident itself, plus the dog is more likely to be seriously injured if loose, now I drive round with relative ease of mind that my dogs would have at least a chance of surviving an accident,

Mo
Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2005, 09:16 AM
We take Millie in the car. We got a dog harness from Pets at Home and it has a loop for the seat belt to go through. She sits on the back seat with her seat belt on just like one of the kids. It is really very good. Would recommend it to anyone.
Anne W.
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 03:54 PM
My dogs sit on the back seat and they are strapped in with a harness that clips into the seat belt holder.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 04:24 PM
which are safer, the ones that clip into the seat belt holder, or ones that the seat belt go through? I would have thought they had more free movement with the one that goes on the seat belt but are they ok with restricted movement and is it safer?
NatalieS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2005, 10:15 PM
At the moment Rocco has been sitting on the front seat beside me because I have stuff in the boot that I've been meaning to take out for ages but it's too heavy for me. I've got an estate car and was planning to get a gate and travel with him in the back, but now I'm not so sure.

It had crossed my mind that if I was rear ended he could get hurt.

I've just been on an american website and found that you can get doggy car seats. I'm wondering though whether this is just a gimic so that they can see out of the window? Or whether they're really safer. Will do some more research!

I don't think it's quite so risky here because:

(a) The Island is only made up of 22 square miles; and
(b) The speed limit is 21mph! (not that anyone drives that slow, but if you drive at anything over 30mph you get a $275 ticket - eek!)

You do get the odd nutter though (one of them being my OH!)
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2005, 10:25 PM
wow natalie 21mph you may as well ride a bike everywhere...lol

Does make it much safer though!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >