Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I take newspapers to my local rescue centre and there had been a beautiful BC in there for months, only a year old. His spec sheet said he was wary of strangers and could bark but not to be put off, just dont stare at him. When I rounded the corner, he immediately hid but I ignored him and he soon came over and we made friends. From that point forward, he never had reservations about me but came over for a good fuss each time. He was obviously so stressed in kennels and his coat was matted and filthy.

If I was in a position to take him, I would've done and it broke my heart to see him each time, he was a beautiful dog who needed somebody to understand him. One day he just disappeared and I hope he found a home.

IMO, this illustrates that sometimes, foster homes arent sought hard enough for dogs who arent coping well or who have been in kennels for months. Furthermore, I dont think rescues seek out the help from specific breed rescues enough neither.
Thats sad,. I'd foster him.....poor soul. I have put my name down on some sites. I saw one in BDH but they don't look for foster homes....god knows why
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
What do most people fail there home check on Dani? Just out of interest really!
Honestly - in the last few that I have done, first was a clear junkie, who couldnt look after a fly never mind a dog.

another who was depressed and house was a tip( not just dirty but stuff literally piled up everywhere), and wanted a dog to get them out as otherwise they wouldnt go out, and I couldnt honestly have placed a dog there without thinking that it would end up being moved on, I was very honest and explained if she got herself sorted and sorted her house and garden then she could call me again in 6 months and I would reassess.

People who have previously given dogs up for pretty crappy reasons.

People who are not honest and when I check their story things become apparant with that.

Very young blokes who give me the impression that they want dogs for the wrong reasons.....

I dont have blanket policy, and will assess every situation independently and If I feel there is something they can do to make it a yes I will say so.

We will rehome previously tested dogs to under 5's etc, as long as temperament matches household etc.
We will rehome to people working providing they have something in place to cover hours etc ( dog walker or someone to let dog out etc)
So we are in no way restrictive, the problem is definetly more the people we get as oppose to the rules we have !!! sadly...
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Honestly - in the last few that I have done, first was a clear junkie, who couldnt look after a fly never mind a dog.

another who was depressed and house was a tip( not just dirty but stuff literally piled up everywhere), and wanted a dog to get them out as otherwise they wouldnt go out, and I couldnt honestly have placed a dog there without thinking that it would end up being moved on, I was very honest and explained if she got herself sorted and sorted her house and garden then she could call me again in 6 months and I would reassess.

People who have previously given dogs up for pretty crappy reasons.

People who are not honest and when I check their story things become apparant with that.

Very young blokes who give me the impression that they want dogs for the wrong reasons.....

I dont have blanket policy, and will assess every situation independently and If I feel there is something they can do to make it a yes I will say so.

We will rehome previously tested dogs to under 5's etc, as long as temperament matches household etc.
We will rehome to people working providing they have something in place to cover hours etc ( dog walker or someone to let dog out etc)
So we are in no way restrictive, the problem is definetly more the people we get as oppose to the rules we have !!! sadly...
Thanks for the reply. Interesting, you certainly have seen a lot then!
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 09:02 PM
I think it depends on the dog itself, some obvious can;t cope in kennels and other do. The shelter where I walk the dogs have had dogs for well over a year, then as you say someone comes along and they get a lovely new home. I have posted a thread on here recently about a dog who coudl just not cope with kennel life and he was sadly pts.

Plus, can you imagine say if the dogs had 6 months then that was it. I know for certain I could not keep up my volunteering (I go 90% of my lunchtimes from work) if this was the case. Us volunteers and the dogs become fond of each other when they've been in a while (I call them my regulars!). It would be just too awful to let them be pts, I feel like they become my friends!!

So I feel that for however long it takes is the answer as long as the dog is ok, funnily some of them seem perfectly happy, obviously nothing can ever take the place of a home, but I have seen some dogs blossom inthe shelter, makes you wonder what their life was like before!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 11:02 PM
i think it depends on the dog. my old boy, sam, didnt cope well in kennels. he just lay quietly at the back of the kennel, looking so sad. he seemed so quiet, boy did that change when he came home... jake definitely wouldnt cope well in kennels.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4