View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 02:13 AM
I personally treat Crufts as any other champ show and if you came to my bench I'd willing you speak to you. My problem with Crufts is that you get people with children and little manners who wouldnt dream of going to Manchester CS or Welks who because its Crufts expect you to allow your dogs to be man handled. A couple of years ago it cost me best puppy when a couple of un supervised kids wound Dice up and got him so hyper we could hardly show show him.
Also I object strongly to being dictated by the KC that I have to leave my dog on the bench all day. With regards to DD unfortunatly were such a small breed we dont have much of a choice or we leave it unmanned, which is why I always seem to get gundog day.
If any of you come to Crufts I hope I havent put you off coming and saying hi, all I would say is I might be either grabbing you to watch the judging if my dogs in the ring or stressing if its the class before.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I personally treat Crufts as any other champ show and if you came to my bench I'd willing you speak to you. My problem with Crufts is that you get people with children and little manners who wouldnt dream of going to Manchester CS or Welks who because its Crufts expect you to allow your dogs to be man handled. A couple of years ago it cost me best puppy when a couple of un supervised kids wound Dice up and got him so hyper we could hardly show show him.
Also I object strongly to being dictated by the KC that I have to leave my dog on the bench all day. With regards to DD unfortunatly were such a small breed we dont have much of a choice or we leave it unmanned, which is why I always seem to get gundog day.
If any of you come to Crufts I hope I havent put you off coming and saying hi, all I would say is I might be either grabbing you to watch the judging if my dogs in the ring or stressing if its the class before.
But you agree to very similar "rules" at any champ show, the only difference is, in most of them you can leave when you have finished, I personally think this is most peoples gripe.

There are signs all around saying do not touch the dogs on the benches, and of course you can take precautions yourself if you choose too. Crufts is the biggest dog show in the world, its to be expected that people want to interact with the dogs! Children, I agree can be a REAL pain, but its their parents that need telling, believe me Ive done that on a few occasions!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2010, 10:00 AM

I agree with you where the GP is concerned regarding them seeing it as a right to manhandle dogs on benches... no wonder more and more people are using bench guards or crates,, and you will then hear the " that one must be vicious, because it is locked up" from them

I know may friends are quite happy to allow the public to ask about their dogs and stroke them, "if " they ask first.

Some dogs are fine with strangers coming up to them but some are not, and it always seem that some people leave their common sense and manners at the door when they go to Crufts.

Regards the highlighted but, I do wonder why people who have issues with the "rules" of any given club, continue to attend events.

I understand the reason behind your objection , re-leaving dogs on benches... but if you feel strongly enough about being dictated too, why do you continue to participate.

Rules are set down, (for what ever reasons) and I know regarding Crufts (leaving dogs on benches and not to leave before 4pm) are there for the general public, and safety of the dogs (do you realy want to put your dog through the gauntlet of those shopping halls) and this is not particularly aimed at you, just a generalization, regarding clubs and rules.... the answer is simply , if you object strong to the rules , dont take part.

Its liek any form of club, tennis/golf, if you dont want to follow some rules or feel you are being dictated too, you have a choice, either accept them or dont go!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I like seeing people and catching up with friends old and new (canine and human)....and I like the shopping I am THAT shallow!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I like seeing people and catching up with friends old and new (canine and human)....and I like the shopping I am THAT shallow!

Me too
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 04:52 PM
im going two days this year again and cant wait going to show on the saturday and im going on the thursday to do some shopping and go and watch the boxers, maybe have a nosy for dogs i like and puppies

i think alot of the thing is at crufts is that people just and as educated as us, and really i think alot of people just expect them to know not to do things. obviously you are always going to get the people that just think its ok to stroke your dog whenever they want (even if you have just brushed her ready for the ring ) and the people who assume your dog is agressive because its in a cage. think we need to educate them more rather than moan
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 06:03 PM
I'll probably be going all four days! One day for shopping, two for discover dogs with Norman (Lakeland Terrier) and I'll be showing him on Terrier day, along with Dolly and Dougal (Wheaten Terriers).

I have to say, I dislike the general public walking around the benching areas. They have discover dogs where they can pet the dogs all they want and they can also be around the rings and watch them being shown. Crufts is still a dog show, and the benching area is some where a bit quieter for the dogs to relax (and the humans ) and you can concentrate on preparing your dog. Also, there isn't a lot of room and I've seen dogs trod on by people trying to squeeze past the benches. I spent an hour grooming Norman last year, perfecting the furnishings on his legs. Then about five minutes before I was due in the ring, I had a man come up and say 'Ohh are his legs soft?' and he grabbed hold of his legs without even asking I had to do them all again!

I have no problem at all with people saying hello to my dogs or playing with them, but just not in the benching area and not a few minutes before I go in the ring! I think the public are a big part or Crufts though, and I try and be polite and say 'Please don't touch his legs/head/coat etc... but you are more than welcome to a big cuddle as soon as I've been in the ring!' (Off the dog, not me ) But it's always risky walking past Dolly when she's stood on a grooming table, she is quite likely to pounce on you and give you a good face washing, which not EVERYBODY appreciates
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 06:27 PM
On hound day I have been round DD to see a friend who has foxhounds and does the DD stand. She usually puts a sign up saying after a certain time the dogs will be on their benches with the hall and ring number on it. Saying anyone wanting to meet them would be welcome at the benches.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
But you agree to very similar "rules" at any champ show, the only difference is, in most of them you can leave when you have finished, I personally think this is most peoples gripe.

There are signs all around saying do not touch the dogs on the benches, and of course you can take precautions yourself if you choose too. Crufts is the biggest dog show in the world, its to be expected that people want to interact with the dogs! Children, I agree can be a REAL pain, but its their parents that need telling, believe me Ive done that on a few occasions!!
I agree that its the parents that need telling - the kids have already been warned that no matter how much they like the dogs on the benches they are not to touch
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Wheaten mad View Post
I'll probably be going all four days!
Now thats what i call dedication
Page 10 of 13 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >