Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Are flexi leads dangerous?

Hey all Just a quick Q...

On our walk today (see piccies in gallery bit lol!) we met a man with a labrador and I got a massive lecture about how dangerous extendable leads are and that they should be banned??!!? i could understand if Bentley was tangling him and his dog up in it but Bentley was ok with the Lab so off the lead anyway and i was just holding the flexi!!

Bentley is offlead 90% of the time but can be a little iffy with other dogs and there are lots of sheep and cows near wear we live and walk so obv he is on a lead near these or if we see a dog I think he might be funny with, and I always always lock the lead when we are on the roads but the man said they are awful things but didn't explain why Maybe they are unsafe for big dogs and obviously bad if you have them unlocked on the path but for fields etc i thought they were ok??

I have two diff ones for Bentley.. a Flexi Classic Mini for dogs up to 8kg which is the lead I keep in the car and use for walks we drive to, and a Flexi Classic size1 for dogs up to 12kg which is his everyday lead ... Bentley is 7kg and doesnt pull much/at all.

if used sensibly should they be ok or can you recommed another type of lead?? I always thought it was nice for Bentley to have bit of freedom even at times when he has to be on a lead! We do have a normal non-stretchy lead too but never use it! Will obv swap to this if best though!

Thanksxx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 04:55 PM
If used correctly I dont have a problem with them
personally I am way to clumsy for a long line so I much prefer them
Havent used one for a while now tho as I just take Mia to places where she can be totaly offlead

They do bloomin hurt when they catch on your leg tho!!
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2012, 05:04 PM
I think it's a case of horses for courses. Personally, I think they are relatively safe and effective for small, light dogs. However, I don't like them for larger dogs. Like BM said, if they get wrapped around a leg or neck they can leave quite nasty injuries. I've always preferred a longline (I've used an extra long lunge line in the past), it may not be as easy to use as a flexi lead as it requires 2 hands but IMO it is a safer option.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 05:10 PM
I would only use one for a geriatric or disabled dog.
Yes they can be dangerous.
I`ve had rope burns from other people`s dogs, had my own dogs spooked by a terrified dog being `pursued` by a dropped handle. I`ve heard of dogs being run over when a brake has failed. I`ve seen owners unable to retrieve their own dog in time when they have wandered up to an aggressive dog.
And they should never be used with a collar - always a harness. They can seriously damage the neck if a dog hits the end at a run.
Can`t bear the damn things.
Yes I understand they are useful occasionally. But occasionally. Not instead of training.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 05:19 PM
I use a flexi lead every single day to walk my dog. I've personally had far more dangerous situations and injuries with a long line. Without it, my dog would be stuck on a short lead all his life. How boring.

I dont really get the idea that they are the spawn of the devil as some people think. I think they are fine as long as you use a little common sense. I always reel mine in short around people and dogs to avoid tangles, I let it out when we're in quiet open spaces.
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the replies... glad most seem to think there ok if used properly.

I always lock the lead if we see other people or dogs and he doesn't spend much time on it at all, like i said he's off 90% time so no need for long line.

I do clip it to his collar because he doesn't run on it. Running is for offlead!
thanks again,x
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Depends is the answer

personally I have never seen a dog on a flexi under controll most of them can pull the flexi enough inorder to pull out in front.

Not to mention I can garantee that if I see a dog on a flexi I am usually the one that gets tangled up -.-

I don't really like them I much prefer my training line to a flexi or even a propper lead provides more safe controll.
*Lorraine*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I would only use one for a geriatric or disabled dog.
Yes they can be dangerous.
I`ve had rope burns from other people`s dogs, had my own dogs spooked by a terrified dog being `pursued` by a dropped handle. I`ve heard of dogs being run over when a brake has failed. I`ve seen owners unable to retrieve their own dog in time when they have wandered up to an aggressive dog.
And they should never be used with a collar - always a harness. They can seriously damage the neck if a dog hits the end at a run.
Can`t bear the damn things.
Yes I understand they are useful occasionally. But occasionally. Not instead of training.

Totally agree with all the above, plus they aren't strong/fast enough to retract quickly if needed & the mechanism isn't fail safe.
I hate the flaming things, especially the thin cord types which are almost invisible at a distance.
I get narked at people yelling "can you call your dog please, mines onlead" when "Fido" is about 20 ft away from them.
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2012, 05:35 PM
I use them on my two, only up in the woods or other rural walks, neither can come off the lead as one is DA and the other would be lost forever if she spotted a movement in the distance.
I can totally see why they could be considered a pain though, a girl I work with has a nast scar on her leg as a result of getting wrapped up in one.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2012, 05:36 PM
When used properly Flexis are great. I use on in parks/woods etc; Dex has mild hip dysplasia and I have to limit how much running he does. So roughly half the time he is on a Flexi.

I think the key things are:

1 - never use one anywhere near roads etc, unless it's in the 'locked' position all the time.

2 - don't let your dog be at the end of the lead when it's unlocked; if they suddenly lunge they can yank it out of your hands; also it can hurt their neck.

3 - be very careful that other dogs and/or people don't walk into the Flexi lead. I had this today; a small dog ran into the Flexi and it could have been nasty...

As with all equipment, it depends on whether the Flexi is used correctly. I tried using a long line for months, but I was lethal with it - to others. Also my dog is extremely strong and was able to yank the long line clean out of my hands. If I just let it trail, then it was a nightmare trying to step on it in time to stop him chasing a squirrel etc.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »