Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 10:07 AM

Are Greys and Lurchers more disposable?

Or are people in this types more honest? Now before you read on, if your just gonna moan about me, my dogs, or this type of thread, click off now. Thank you. Anyway I was waking the dogs yesterday when a man asked if he could stroke my dogs, he seemed nice enough, I've spoken to him before, so I said yes, now from the second I met him I could tell he was a Irish gyspie, so wasn't surprised when he mentioned that he grew up with Lurchers and Greyhounds, but I must admit sometimes I like hearing tails from people like this, as sometimes their love for their dogs goes far deeper then many would give them credit for, and I've learned from people like this man before aswell, and although when Honey saw him she did a sliding stop that a quarter horse would be proud of (still scared of strange men) Diesel went up for a cuddle and a bit of a lean (fb people this is also the man my status is bout ) we left with me angry at him, but he seemed knowledgeable at first, so I wanted to know what he knew, he guessed that Diesel was 3/4 (to begin with) and knew Honey had Saluki in her by looking, but even after hearing their ages, both five, Honey nearer six he asked about breeding them, for which I said that they couldn't even if they wanted to but he said he loved the dogs, but as a boy never bonded with his dads as most were gone within months of having them if they were deemed not good enough (in my eyes basically a dealer, or a puppy pedeller, you don't need to go through loads, you just have to be mote selective) and it got me thinking, with him, and the guy at the river who admitted that a, he lost his license, and b, he never kept dogs that weren't earning him money, to most people (and Im not really talking bout big kennels, just people that keep a few kennels in their garden or whatever, not another thread on the whole of the racing industry ) are these dogs more disposable to people, or are people more honest bout it? I mean I get to where the dog stands to have a better life with other people, but now Im getting to a point where Im wondering about people who do this, whether it is easier for them, or better for the dog or what, prob a mixture of both, some more one, some more the other, or does this happen more to working dogs, or what? What do you think, are these dogs more disposable, does it happen as much in other dogs, or do people in other types hide it more?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Can't comment on greyhounds and lurchers, but I'm often shocked at how easily people in the gundog world get rid of dogs that they deem to be "not up to scratch."

I guess it's to do with whether an individual regards their dogs as pets, or purely working animals, so that's why you see it more in sporting type breeds, whether it be racing greyhounds, or hunting dogs, or shooting dogs.....
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Its just such a shame, I remember on one forum someone getting torn to pieces as he rehomed his 12 y/o patterdale after retiring him, as he 'should of either kept him in his retirement or had him destroyed to prevent him being passed from pillar to post' and that scared me too, Im not on there anymore, but I did notice a few people had it in their minds that if a dog was a working dog it was better to pts then rehome as pet owners can't cope with them, which may be true for some, but some pet owners prolly dedicate as much if not more of their time to their pets IMO, and it does scare me that people would rather pts then keep or spend time looking for a home thats right. I have to say I much prefer the people who have said that as soon as they pick a pup from a litter bar any exetreme circumstances that pups with them for life, although I have heard from a couple of get rid people how one dog everynow stays, including a Lurcher who if the kid toddled into the garden and the parents were by the door or in the kitchen, so not in the garden, would hold on to the kids nappy and try to take him back , not in a nasty way though.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Awww thats so cute!! (Dog taking baby back by nappy)

Our dogs are working dogs primarily, but we would never get rid of them, and if anything happened, the breeder would take them back in an instant.

There's not a lot you can do, people view animals in different ways, and TBH, at least if they are having the dog pts, they are taking some responsibility for it - I got my lurcher cross because the idiot who owned him just basically chucked him out onto the streets

I also remember a case in the vet school where a greyhound owner was being prosecuted for hitting his dogs over the head with a shovel
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 12:37 PM
People dumping animals annoys the hell outta me, Diesel was gonna be dumped for if the guy couldn't get rid, but at least we are a step ahead of Spain with their hounds etc, and I don't mind people having their dogs for work, would love to able to do it with mine, and I do think that working can improve the bond between dog and owner, and can enrich the dogs lives, but I do hate how some view their dogs as nothing more then tools, and I think that with the people who decide that their dogs aren't good enough forget that they once needed a bit of training, that they themselves wasn't born knowing all their is to know, so why not spend a bit more time helping one dog improve, rather then going through possibly three or four to find one thats up to their standards?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 03:11 PM
You will find it also happens a lot with working sheepdogs. The only thing I will say in defence of passing (true) working dogs on, is that when you rely on your dogs to help earn your living then the dog HAS to be up to that job to be able to keep his/her place on the farm. Imo it is far kinder to find a home which suits that particular dog and its capabilities than hanging on to it and never having the time to do anything with it.

I cannot speak for Greys and Lurchers though, as I only have very limited experience with these breeds and their owners.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Maybe its a case of livliehood v hobby then aswell, as truelly how many people need a Grey or Lurcher to live? How many people have them for their hobbies? The same gundogs, out of all that own them, how many people who work them are doing it for a job or to live? Dogs for secruity work, how many people need a schtz or pp trained dog? How many have them for hobbies? Any dog doing any job, if they are there as a hobby for the owner, why does the owner decide that she/he isn't worth the time, I suspect in a lot of cases money comes into it aswell, I mean why spend your time and money training a dog that you could just say isn't worth it and get rid? And if it is a hobby why get a living thing if your prepared to pass it on a month down the line? I thought hobbies were something you like to do, so would spend more time looking at whats best for your hobby, and would spend more time getting to grips with a 'tool' of your hobby? I mean surely with people who go through animals in a matter of months the animal hasn't had time to settle down into a new routine, in a new place, and get any bond with anyone around, as surely a bonded animal will work better idk, but when its a hobby, sometimes I do wonder about how much thought is put into the living being thats been brought in, by the person to help, I do think some think of themselves before the dogs, and are happy to get rid before giving the animal a chance, and thats what gives them more chance of being passed from pillar to post, or dead because of someones hobby, it doesn't seem fair IMO but I do think that people who need a dog for a job should be careful to and the quality life of the dog should be thought of throughout, and if people are finding out their going through a lot of dogs should try to look at why. MaybevIm chatting rubbish, again idk. Btw don't think I'm saying this because I don't like dogs working its just these two men got me thinking, and I know their not the only ones like them.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 01:36 PM
I don't think there is anything necessarily cruel about "moving a dog on" if it isn't up to the task, whether it be just a hobby or not.

As long as the owner takes responsibilty for the animal and ensures it goes to a reasonable home, or maybe uses the breed rescue, I don't have a problem with it. We see it a lot with gundog people - a dog that is is gunshy, for example.

I would rather they find it a better home environment than leave it in the kennels with no time to do anything with it?
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Interesting thread, some dogs are bred to work and if they cant do the job required they are moved on ,whether this be hunting , breeding , racing , in this country its legal to do so IF its done properly , I agree that moving them on is OK if your living depends on it but as long as a responsible home is found whether through a breed rescue or charity rescue etc, the problem goes back to the same thing every time , its down to people and whether they care enough to ensure the dog is moved on in a responsible way. People will continue to dump dogs but hopefully there will be enough people who will take them on , my lurcher shows in his behaviour he was bred to hunt , I dont know why they dumped him only that he makes the most wonderful pet and I make sure that his active brain is entertained every day. My grey was bred to race and came from superb stock but clearly did not make the grade , again after 12 mths of hard work she has learned to be a pet and is very good at it now ! As long as humans are capable of cruelty it will continue , its not acceptable but it will happen , we can only try and help to reduce it and it will impact on any breed and any animal.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Are Greys and Lurchers more disposable?

I dont think they are any more disposable than any other dog/breed, its simply down to numbers, same with Staffies , there are so many of them, the numbers make it seem they are .
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >