Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:21 AM

Are females manipulative??

Having only ever had male dogs, I have been very interested to see what the differences are between males and females. I know that my two are different breeds and Lula is a rescue and has had a different upbringing but I do feel she is quite manipulative.
For example - this morning Beau is chewing on a bone, Lula spots this and decides she wants that it. First she comes to me for attention and hopefully to make Beau leave the bone for some attention too - that never worked Next she gets a really exciting toy and proceeds to throw it about, all the time looking at Beau and showing him what a wonderful time she is having - that never worked Next she walks round him to see if she can hook away the bone easily - nope he is holding on tight Finally she goes away on a bone hunt and comes back with one, she places it near Beau and nosily chews it, Beau looks up and she jinks in and steals her trophy - result

Please tell me this is normal and she is not after world domination
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:35 AM
That's not manipulative, that's just clever!! I think world domination may be on the cards.....!!!!

J
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Sounds like Kismet to me ...

I taught Kismet 'swap' as a puppy... I want to take the bone off you.. here is a tasty treat... good... Now she uses it against me... She has developed a taste for tea and likes nothing more than to drink the last mouthful of tea out of your cup, or steal a mouthful if you put the mug down in reach... Obviously I have told her NO!...

Now the whole tie you are drinking tea she brings ever more valuable things to you for swapping... Balls, fuzzys, bones... Last week I looked away from my tea and to my dismay heard a loud PLOP! She had dropped her bone in my tea! Result! One tea dunked bone. I took it away from her not wanting to encourage bone dunking

If she wants something from one of the other dogs she does the same tactics you describe... Though on more than one occasion has managed to get the bone from the other dog by swapping it with the one she went and got only to find that she preferred the other one and the whole thing has to start again
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Star does that to Finn all the time and Finn keeps falling for it
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh I am so glad I am not on my own. Poppy is sooooo manipulative with Ben. she's a Diva and will bark till she gets her own way over chew bones...Poor Ben just gives in for a bit of peace.
Elaine xxx
She all but stamps her feet....little madam
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:04 AM
It is good to know I am not alone

Poor Beau doesn't stand a chance, he is such a straight forward boy - if he wants a bone, he wraaaastles you for it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:06 AM
YES...

lol

world domination, my females are more manipulateive, they seem to be better thinkers, more persistant than my males.

Holly/tegan will do all the stuff you mentioned to get what they want, I have even seen them running to the door barking like mad as if someone is there to get the boys up and away from what they want,
the thing is, they dont even bark when someone comes to the door my bells busted just now, I often miss someone if im in the kitchen because I cant hear the door from there and those damn lazy dogs dont let me know...lol
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Sounds just like our little bitch terrier! She has the other boys (and daddy!) wrapped around her little paw
I do sometimes think we run the risk of anthropomorphising pets but it's very hard not to.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Star does that too Finn all the time and Finn keeps falling for it

awe bless, vinnies the same, time and again they get him, they dont need to think up many new ways to out smart vinnie, even the cat gets vinnie
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Oh and to add our little bitch also throws the most AWESOME sulks if she doesn't get her own way!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >