View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 10:30 PM

Experiences of getting young puppies from rescue?

I was totally dead set on getting my GSD puppy from a proper breeder... but something/someone has possibly changed my mind on that!

I would still want a young puppy though.... and know they don't come up often, but there would be no rush

I was just curious about people who have gotten young puppies from rescue, if you had any health/temperamental issues?

The way I see it at the moment is that because it will be a couple of years down the line I get one, if one does have slight temperamental issues I will be confident enough to deal with them... and health wise, of course it would be fab to have a perfectly healthy dog, but if you are giving a dog a home and have insurance to cover... is it that bad?

Just want to hear opinions/experiences!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Well I got Ben from a rescue - he was approx 8 weeks old
There were 4 other litters in there at the time and a grayhound just about to give birth (gotta hate people who ditch their pets when in such need)

Touch wood Ben has had no health problems so far (he is 4) and he is a fantastic dog, good with dogs, people and children
Smart loving and cute as a button (imo)

Sure its a gamble - and I dont know how often you are going to get pure gsd puppies in rescue - but I bet it happens more often than I think
But I know several people who have got pups from rescue and they are all healthy, temprament some good, some bad - but imo alot of that was to do with the owner and the amount of training and socalisation
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I have considered a GSD X as they are probably a lot more likely than GSD's, but I don't want to lose the traits that I wanted in a GSD.. if that makes sense?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I have considered a GSD X as they are probably a lot more likely than GSD's, but I don't want to lose the traits that I wanted in a GSD.. if that makes sense?
It does
I wanted a collie ended up with a collie cross (well a pair of them)
It was a big gamble - no idea what size he would be, what temperament would be - if he really had any collie in him at all
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Yeah that is exactly what I would be like!

I do like cross breeds, and as size would be no issue it wouldn't matter and they would be more likely to come up, but I am not even sure what I would want a gsd x with that I wouldn't mind getting like all traits from the OTHER breed, as is it the GSD side i want... it's tricky!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-08-2011, 11:10 PM
We have been lucky with Coco..
The foster mum rescued what was left of a litter ..
She is a fiesty little thing who has too much confidence if anything ..
Her foster mum had loads of Jtr's to help with the pups, ,things like being in a car was already natural for her before we got her ...
Health wise ,so far she is full of vim and vigor...
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Plus she is cute!

To be honest I do think I want a pure GSD and not a cross, as it is what I have my heart set on for my next dog

They do come up in rescue verrrry occasionally - so will just have to keep an eye out around that time
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Unsold litters in rescue are getting worse ,,
you just need to be ready when they become available ..
As they go quick,,
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 11:39 PM
How come?

Yeah when I am ready I would go to local rescue centres and explain to them what I am wanting hoping they contact me!

But would keep an eye out anyway (Places like many tears, then just hope they are close enough! - they never are )
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-08-2011, 11:46 PM
All the gsd breed rescues ,many tears and dogs blog ..
Plus your local rescues ..
I had 4 or 5 local places saved and i would check daily .
I dont know if the gsd folk on here have a grape vine of pups in rescue..
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >