View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Yes, people need to be taught how to look after dogs (and countless other pets) but sorry guys, why should the schools have to do it on top of everything else they have to do. Schools seem to have all this thrown at them...oh well, parents don't do it so the schools can...I know that's a whole other debate and topic, but i certainly don't think it's up to the schools to teach it?? What makes a teacher know how to look after animals and who is going to pay for outside speakers to come in???? More to the point, in schools that already find it hard to fit everything in, when are they going to do it???? It will be a small add on that isn't taken very seriously. Sorry. I don't think school is the place, after all, it's ADULTS not children that need to take responsibility for their pets, the way training dogs was when I was a child...well, suffice to say, I don't think anyone would be happy if they saw Barbera Woodhouse out and about 'training' now would they?????
Sorry I went on there, I just don't think it's one that should be parked up at the school gate...

If people want a dog, they should have to go to classes...controversial huh???????
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ailsa1 View Post
Yes, people need to be taught how to look after dogs (and countless other pets) but sorry guys, why should the schools have to do it on top of everything else they have to do.

If people want a dog, they should have to go to classes...controversial huh???????
In an ideal world, yeah, but the chances of that happening in reality are pretty slim. As for schools doing this on top of everything else, I dunno how many schemes of work you've seen for PHSE and citizenship, but they a big old waste of time in the main. There's a whole lot of c*** that could be skipped with no detriment to pupils, and could be replaced by something more useful.

And I know it's the parents who have the ultimate responsibility for the family's pets, but we should never underestimate the influence children can have over their parents' behaviour. I can remember the destruction my mate Eoin and I wreaked on our fathers' tobacco products while shouting "I'll never say yes to a cigarette!"
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Still can't edit posts Meant to say KS3 schemes of work for PHSE and citizenship. I imagine you're quite familiar with primary school PHSE and citizenship
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Yes, kids can have an effect..if the parents are concerned in the first place...
I just think school is not the place to teach about responsible pet ownership, yes it can be mentioned, but it shouldn't be relied upon...what about the kid that's off that weeK???
It's current and new owners that need educating about ownership, it's the adults here who need to be taught about it, not the children of the family...the ones who pay for the puppy and ultimately make the decision to get the dog.
A lot of PSHE etc is a lot of old tosh, yes, but lots of people would say adding stuff about pet ownership is,they would argue why learn about it if they'll never have one...

I still think it's about teaching new and current owners, teach people that have the dogs now and intend to get a dog and progress it form there. No, it will never happen, but adding pet ownership classes in school isn't going to solve anything now...sex education has hardly helped alleviate the problem of STD's or teenage preganancys...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 12:48 PM
sorry went on one there....

I'm pretty worried at the moment to be honest and have been for a while, that new legislation will be knee jerk stuff and innocent people and dogs will suffer...I have a bad feeling the DDA is going to be extended and made worse...

Sorry for my rant...
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2