View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2006, 07:50 PM
I live in Leicestershire and have just seen the local news report.
No details about how it happened were given out but both dogs have been put to sleep.

What worries me is that the people in the area who were interviewed are now scared that their dogs may do the same thing and are thinking of getting rid of them.
The local rescue centres will be full of dogs who have done nothing wrong!

What's going on??
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2006, 07:54 PM
I get the feeling that they weren't the family's dogs....

Not sure if I am right or wrong but the "jist" I get is that the family with the baby were just living above the pub and the dogs were owned as guard dogs by the pub owners...

HOW the dogs got to the baby is another matter..
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
I get the feeling that they weren't the family's dogs....

Not sure if I am right or wrong but the "jist" I get is that the family with the baby were just living above the pub and the dogs were owned as guard dogs by the pub owners...

HOW the dogs got to the baby is another matter..
Thats what I thought.. the dogs belonged to the pub Landlord and the couple with the baby were "looking after" the dogs and the pub whilst the owner was on holiday..
I am baffled how the dogs got to the baby too , surely no one would leave their baby alone with any dogs let alone guard dogs belonging to a freind that are NOT used to children or babies

Irrespective of the circumastances it is a tragedy, so sad for the parents of the little one
Rachel
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2006, 08:18 PM
What an awful thing to have happened - I am so horrified and sorry for the poor baby. But what happened?

Why were they left alone with the baby? I wouldn't even leave my own dog alone with my baby, let alone someone elses!!!
What on earth caused them to kill???
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2006, 09:00 PM
This is terrible news I have a total of 7 rotts at the moment 4 adults and 3 puppys, my son is 16 so the dogs have never really had much to do with kids under 5 years, however when they do meet some little people i have had no cause for concern ( except the licking of little peeps hands and face) my big concern being they can be a bit clumsy and push them over I would never leave my dogs alone with young children, my guess is that the baby cryed and the dogs got excited and what started as curiousity got out of hand (which can happen quickly) when compeating with another dog,

the poor child/ parents / dog
I think this will put rotts back in the public image as devil dogs, but it would not make me even think of getting rid!!!
I does however give you an insight into how many peeps view there pets, easy to discard and replace just like that old sofa
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2006, 09:15 PM
I feel sorry for the parents, it must be a nightmare. I don't know how it happened, they haven't revealed all the details just yet but i just saw a neighbour on the news talking about how he might get rid of his dog because he has a baby too.....erm???

I can imagine the press rotties are gonna get. Why does the media do this to entire breeds? Isn't there enough news-worthy stuff goin on or something?
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2006, 11:23 PM
I am heartfelt sorry for the parents of the baby.

But this is more bad press for a wonderful breed of dog that has had enough as it is. Why oh why do people allow these situations to happen?

One of my friends had a Rottie, Reuben, and he was the biggest lump of slobbery love on four legs. He once had me on my behind on the stable floor (I obviously forgot to wash my face).

I wish the media would highlight more the mistakes of owners and others and not highlight the breed as if they are devils incarnate. There is responsibility here and it shouldn't lie as a dark shadow over a dog breed due to media hype. The realities and truths should be explained and revealed and I hope the media are honest with it for once.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 12:57 AM
I am dreading the flack that people throw at me and my dogs when something terrible like this happens

I had tee shirts printed a few years ago with Racisim and Rottweilers printed on the back, and slogans like iss itt cos i ees black which helped people warm to them in an ironic sort of way

It makes peeps so angry, then they take it out on the first rotty/owner they see,
my answer to such is they obviously do not scare or upset you in any way as you would not be stood there mouthing off if you where truly worried
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2006, 04:46 AM
did you watch the news about this?
they went round the place near the pub asking people how they felt about it and one idiot of a guy turns round and says oh yeah we have a dog and now we are thinking of getting rid!!
i could not believe it!!!
i want to know where the parents were when this happened and how the hell did the dogs get into the baby and get it out of its cot??!!!
the dog have been pts and its not fair but on the other side its a lucky thing for the dogs cos the area it happened it looks like it has those type of people who would have done something to the dogs if they hadnt been pts.

I myself have a rottweiler and you should see him with kids, he loves them, when we go pets at home with him you have kids stroking him all the type we had one who kept following us round saying to his mum "look mummy theres angel again" the kid loved him.

Why is it always the dogs fault? why cant it be the owners fault for once?

I feel sorry for the baby but i have to say if they left that baby alone on the floor ( cos i cant see a rottie getting it out of a cot!) then i dont feel sorry for the parents, if this hadnt of happened you could see something else would have happened to that baby cos the parents seem irresponsible (sp?).
and another thing how the hell did the rotties get to the baby? surely they would have been kept outside away for people?!
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 05:59 AM
I too heard this story on the radio yesterday. How awful but again how did these guard dogs get inside the upstairs home? Also i heard that the dogs managed to drag the baby outside onto the roof!!!!!!! How on earth did they manage that????!

I feel so sorry for the poor dogs. I feel sorry for the baby too as it didnt do anything wrong. What the parents were doing leaving a baby within reach of two large guarding dogs i dont know.

I really hope small minded uninformed idiots do not take this out on random people owning rotties.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »