Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2007, 11:06 AM

bit naffed off

so as you all know I recently had a litter of pups.
well it was not all plain sailing,we have nine pups,but she had 12 in total,losing three,we noticed she was having a wee bit of difficulty,either through being too tired,pups too big,well anyway,thats neither here or there,I am naffed off because my vet after calling them at 10.30 on the Saturday morning,asking them to see us,sent us to emergency vet,the mum to be was being very very sick,so was a bit worried,so on the Monday after giveing birth to nine pups she was getting a wee bit distressed,pups were coming with at least an hour to two hours in between,we phone again at 10.25 a.m. and explaining the situation,would not see us until 2.20pm.surgey was open,and all we wanted was a quick look and perhaps an Oxytocin injection,to get things moving again,well would they see us earlier would they heck,our girl was getting a little bit distressed,so hubby said well will have to go to another vet then(so we lost the three pups because of the delay apparantly),so heres the letter we had from first vet this morning,now am I being unreasonable in wanting go down there and giving them what for?????
Last Saturday,you rang at 10.30 am to get an appointment to have your pregnant dog seen urgently.All appointments were already booked but the vet agreed to make time for you and Mellow was seen.You were told that if Mellow went inot labour over the weekend you would have to ring the emergency vet otherwise we would be open on Monday morning,At 10.30 you ring in a panic(was not in a panic at all,concerned for bitch and puppies,)and when you were informed that there were no free appointments,the vet would see you at 2.20pm.(fair enough,but bitch been in labour all night and needed help)you were not happy with this and told the receptionist that you would go elsewhere.We are in full agreement with this decision and await the request from your new veterinarian for your animala notes as you are no longer registered with us.
so how would you feel about this,and how would you respond to their letter,not forgetting we lost three pups,and if we had waited until the 2.20.we may have lost the dam as well.
sorry so long winded
Wendy
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't be naffed off, I'd be livid. I think the best thing is to copy the letter, write a letter of complaint to the RCVS and send it with a copy of your vets letter to them and copy in the practice. A bitch in labour and having difficulties is an emergency.
I rang my vet through their emergency system at 11pm, she happily rang back, went through my concerns then and that was it, no complaint or anything.
Get another vet asap and make sure they know why you are changing!
Becky
wendy taylor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Thank you sooo much for your quick reply,and must admit your way of doing things is much better than mine,as I am all set for a stand up row,I am fuming actually,their surgery was open,how long does it take to give an oxytocin,I will definitely do as you advise,much better option than my clubbing him over head a few times
Wendy
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 11:21 AM
I think you were left with no alternative were you to seek another vet as they were not willing to assist when you required! Great advice from Becky - change vets definitely!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Dreadful service I agree with the others get another Vet.
They don't seem at all concerned about the concerns you were having and have made no attempt to keep you with them through an apology.
Becky's advice is good advice but I am afraid I would feel like you do and go down there for a stand up row in front of all his Clients to let them know how unprofessional they are.
mforster85
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2007, 12:09 PM
i agree you should go to another vets! what a dreadful vets not even an apology when they were in the wrong, im really sorry you lost 3 pups, hope you find a better vet soon!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by wendy taylor View Post
Thank you sooo much for your quick reply,and must admit your way of doing things is much better than mine,as I am all set for a stand up row,I am fuming actually,their surgery was open,how long does it take to give an oxytocin,I will definitely do as you advise,much better option than my clubbing him over head a few times
Wendy
lol, I'd feel the same as you and think their behaviour thenand subsequently in their letter is a disgrace but sometimes putting pressue on them another way is far more satisfying. Just remember they will get your letter then probably have to wait (and have that hanging over their head for as long as it takes!) to hear, if ever, from the RCVS!
Good Luck with whatever way you wish to deal with it lol!
Becky
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 12:49 PM
So if an animal needs urgent treatment it isn't classed as an emergency if it happens during normal surgery hours, is that what they are trying to say?

What an appalling attitude, I agree I certainly would be taking it further.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Thats awful, you have every right to complain and definitely change your vet, disgusting attitude!!

Sorry for your loss

Run free little ones xx