View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Changed behaviour, Am I right?? (reinforcing 'top dog' status despite weakness?)

Mollie has changed these past few months, she is a very social dog, gets on with everyone and everything, this past while she has started barking in the little ones faces when they start to carry on, she seems to be getting a bit bulshy....
As her condition has progressed, she is now on metacam every day, I think because she is in some pain, she feels she is weaker, and the way she is behaving is to reinforce her status, she has always been topdog and is treated as such... She is not being aggressive, just more or less telling the other two she is boss...
Anyone any thoughts on this...I may be well off the mark here...
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Oh bless - Roxy has been in the wars a bit lately, and is now on Zubrin for her arthritis - she's grumpy and often tries to bite whoever's going past on the leg (Mya or Len that is, not us ). Wishing Mollie better with her meds hon xx
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-06-2006, 11:18 PM
You could well be correct in that she is reinforcing her status Moli. Are the little ones showing any signs (even subtle ones) of trying to push Mollie around? Dogs pick up very quickly on any weakness and will try to take advantage.

On the other hand Mollie could just be feeling generally grumpy if she is in discomfort.

Have you thought about trying acupuncture for her? It won't cause any damage and it may just help her a bit.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 08:37 AM
I agree with SB. If she has a weakness of any kind the other dogs have probably already realised this. She is probably letting them know that even though weak she is still in charge!! But she could be grumpy because of pain just to add insult to injury
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
You could well be correct in that she is reinforcing her status Moli. Are the little ones showing any signs (even subtle ones) of trying to push Mollie around? Dogs pick up very quickly on any weakness and will try to take advantage.

On the other hand Mollie could just be feeling generally grumpy if she is in discomfort.

Have you thought about trying acupuncture for her? It won't cause any damage and it may just help her a bit.
The little ones are not pushing her around SB, she is still the same girl, just she feels the need to put the little ones in their place!Its almost as if, she is getting in there first, just incase they step out of line?if that makes sense....The metacam is working, and she still enjoys her walks, although don't let her have as long as she would like!To a point I let her do as she wants, great believer in quality is more important than quantity..
Will look into acupunture for her...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Sounds as though Mollie is just making sure that they know she is still the matriarch Long may she rule!

You are very wise in the matter of quality of life versus quantity of life