Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 02:14 PM

Orphaned baby swallow

I've been brought a young baby swallow by a friend of mine. Apparently her nephew found it on the ground along with it's sibling!!!

One died through the night, but, the other seems to be a little fighter. I've now got the job of hand rearing it I know it's chances are slim, but I'm not giving up hope yet.

I've looked on the RSPB web site and got as much info as I can on hand rearing swallows. Any other help that anyone can give will be much appreciated

At the moment the little chap is feeding and pooing (a good sign) and is quite active. I'm not sure how old it is, but it's starting to get it's adult feathers and most of the down has gone. It's eyes are open too

Keep your fingers crossed that this little mite pulls through, and in time can join its own kind
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I wish you all the luck in the world!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Aww how sad, lucky its found you You will have it flying around your house in no time. We know you can do it
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Oh, I hope you are successful. Best of luck.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 03:05 PM
One of my cats brought me in a baby blackbird totally unhurt. I cared so much for it, I rang the local bird sanctuary and they advised me to give rice crispies soaked in water and tiny bits of scrambled egg, and droplets of water.
Good luck.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 03:15 PM
I read the title as 'Orphan baby swallowed'

Good luck!
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
I read the title as 'Orphan baby swallowed'

Good luck!
Just wet myself laughing at that!!!

Anyway hope the little chappie makes it, im sure you'll do a great job! What do the dogs think of their new family member?!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 07:01 PM
LOL Hevvur

Kris, the dogs haven't been allowed anywhere near it. There wouldn't be the worry of the bird surviving if one of them got hold of it It would be a quick snack for them

It's up in our room at the moment and it's being fed hourly. It's even starting to cheep at me when it wants feeding It opens it's mouth and it's head seems to disappear

I'm off to pets at home tomorrow to see if I can get something called Prosecto and Vionate. One is a substitute food and the other is a vitamin supplement (assuming it lasts the night)

Thanks for the tip Luz I have being feeding it scrambled egg (as well as a few freshly caught flies ) given by a pair of tweezers. It's nice and warm now, which when I took it in, it was freezing. My friends nephew had being dunking the birds head in some water to try and get it to drink (the boy is only 9) Then putting it on some damp tissue

The more I think about all of this, the more I'm inclined to think that this bird, and it's sibling, was given some assistance out of thier nest As both of these birds had been away from it's mother for longer than a couple of hours, there was a high chance of the parents rejecting them. I also didn't know which nest they had come from either as there's a few nesting swallows here

I'll keep persisting and keep you all updated
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Well done you ! Fingers crossed all goes well
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Hope the little fella is doing fine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >