View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 02:01 PM

On The Subject of Choke/Check Chains ...

I've tried bribery, I've tried stopping and refusing to continue until Loki stops pulling, I've tried walking the other way (but worry that he will associate this with coming across other dogs), I've tried gentle tugs reinforced by a command, but when we meet another dog I still end up with a Utonagan up on his hind legs, straining at the lead, enthusiastically trying to meet the other dogs or people.

He's so sociable.

People watching me with both feet planted (I'm only 5'3") and hanging onto the lead for all I'm worth keep telling me I should get a choke chain.

I don't want to.

Can anyone reassure me that Loki is a boisterous 10 months and will calm down a bit?

He does understand, "stop pulling" and "walk nicely", but it goes to pot if there is another dog around.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 02:05 PM
aww bless you ls when you think loki is only 10mths and is still only a pup mine are 1omths old and do exactly the same and i find it hard most times trying to restrain mine and i am only 5.3 as well loki will grow out of it as i have been told when is another matter
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Phew - there's hope then.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 02:11 PM
yes theres hope for us,as for choke chains i did buy mine them but stopped using them cos the more they pulled the more they choked and by the end of the walk they were in such a state so i would never go back to a choke chain,loki will soon grow out of boistrous ways of pulling where as mine will most of the time its excitment pulling to see other dogs but sometimes it can be done when you dont want it to be done
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Thank you Bluemerle. Feel better after this morning's experience of looking like I was walking my dog on his hind legs - or he was walking me.
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-07-2005, 02:26 PM
10 months old he's just being a teenager! He will get better then all that traning will be worth it you'll see
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks Dibley - I do think this but when other people start commenting, you know, you get a bit worried ...
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Dont worry she is still very young. I take Brodie (7 months) to training classes and we have to walk past other dogs without her pulling away. I have a full check and found it works well with her (trainer recommended it). We are told when going past the dogs to get her full attention so there is nobody else in the room but us. Yeah right? I hear you ask. All we do is a gentle pull on the lead so she is aware your still in charge and talk to her as though you have her favourite treat in your hand saying 'whats this' in a tempting way.
Keep persevering one day it will just click and you will of forgotten the days when it was so bad.
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Best thing with dogs like children is ignore what other peole think or say! I think certain poducts are bit of a quick fix training may take longer but in the long-term it's worth it!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks Luz - I will persevere. He is a darling and he makes me laugh so much with his antics.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >