Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Advice on Ruby coming into season

Ruby (blck lab) will be coming into season again in the next few weeks.

Due to a grass seed issue she could not be spayed before now. She'll be 2 in September. I have enquired into having it done & the vet has told me to go & get her checked over then he'll make the decision.

I'd have loved nothing more than to have pups from Ruby as shes a wonderful dog in every sense of the word BUT theres also too many in rescue for me to potentially add to it.

Sooo after all that waffle

My concerns are Khal. He has had his bits snipped so there isnt a problem there, but he & Ruby are totally 'in love'. They do everything together.

What kind of response will she have when she comes into season? Will his temprement change the time she is in season?Can I expect howling, aggression or what....I have noooo clue

Talk to me guys....enlighten me please
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Varies very much from dog to dog, Dax expressed a bit of interest when Hannah first came in, she put him in his place & he was really good from then on. Boyo is a complete nuisance & stops listening to me & has only one thing on his mind. Thank goodness we only had one season to endure before she was done. My friends dog is not a nuisance but won't eat while her bitches are in season. Good luck & hope he is not too bad.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 12:35 PM
The type of response depends on the bitch, Ela is a hussy when in reason and a nightmare! She tries to dig under the fence is very whiney and there is some serious girl on girl action. Raina is fine and has little interest in that kind of thing when in season. She just gets a bit more clingy. So how the bitch is can effect how the dog is to her.

He will most likely be interested in her and will try to mate her even though he has been snipped and she may well let him. So i would expect a bit of howling and whining from him. A friend has a dog that goes off his food all together when a bitch is in season but my Nans little dog has never paid much attention
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-06-2011, 01:15 PM
If Khal has just had "the snip" and not "the chop" then he can still be interested but will can only fire blanks, just as a man who has had a vasectomy can still perform but cannot impregnate.

How Ruby will react towards Khal is anyone's guess.

I wish you the best of luck!
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Varies very much from dog to dog, Dax expressed a bit of interest when Hannah first came in, she put him in his place & he was really good from then on. Boyo is a complete nuisance & stops listening to me & has only one thing on his mind. Thank goodness we only had one season to endure before she was done. My friends dog is not a nuisance but won't eat while her bitches are in season. Good luck & hope he is not too bad.
Thanks Sue, he licks her & paws her & follows her everywhere to start with It doesnt help tht she sticks her bum in his face at every opportunity

Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
The type of response depends on the bitch, Ela is a hussy when in reason and a nightmare! She tries to dig under the fence is very whiney and there is some serious girl on girl action. Raina is fine and has little interest in that kind of thing when in season. She just gets a bit more clingy. So how the bitch is can effect how the dog is to her.

He will most likely be interested in her and will try to mate her even though he has been snipped and she may well let him. So i would expect a bit of howling and whining from him. A friend has a dog that goes off his food all together when a bitch is in season but my Nans little dog has never paid much attention
Ruby is a hussey too, she torments him by standing over him when hes laying down, she waggles her bum in his face & just winds him up. If he goes beside her she'll roll over with all legs in the air..

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
If Khal has just had "the snip" and not "the chop" then he can still be interested but will can only fire blanks, just as a man who has had a vasectomy can still perform but cannot impregnate.

How Ruby will react towards Khal is anyone's guess.

I wish you the best of luck!
Thanks Malka...oh yes I reckon he can perform all right even though he is just a pup himself really being 14 months old.Its defo his balls thats gone

Bev x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

29-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
oh yes I reckon he can perform all right even though he is just a pup himself really being 14 months old. .Its defo his balls thats gone

Bev x
So Khal had "the chop" and not just "the snip" - in which case he should not be able to perform even if he thinks he can! Any humping would probably just be teenage puppy humping, which both males and females do, and not really trying to mate - because he should not be able to do the latter.

And if Ruby does stick her nether regions in his face already, I would lay odds on her doing it even more so if she is in season and receptive.

Poor Khal.

Poor Ruby.

Young love is so full of temptation...

S I G H
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
So Khal had "the chop" and not just "the snip" - in which case he should not be able to perform even if he thinks he can! Any humping would probably just be teenage puppy humping, which both males and females do, and not really trying to mate - because he should not be able to do the latter.

And if Ruby does stick her nether regions in his face already, I would lay odds on her doing it even more so if she is in season and receptive.

Poor Khal.

Poor Ruby.

Young love is so full of temptation...

S I G H
she is a teasing mare!! thanks for that Malka
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Oh dear, I think you will find that castrated animals INCLUDING man can still perform................!

Very few dogs have a vasectomy, there is no point.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

29-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Oh dear, I think you will find that castrated animals INCLUDING man can still perform................!
Agreed, but it is mostly very unlikely. Which is why in the US they can, under certain circumstances, perform both chemical and surgical castration on some perpetual sex offenders.

A male human who has been castrated before puberty, will normally never have the hormones to "give him the urge" or enable him to have an erection. However, if the castration occurs after puberty then yes it is possible, but as I said, most unlikely. Hence the laws permitting same in the US under certain circumstances.

A man who has been chemically castrated requires regular injections of the necessary hormone suppressant to keep the urge away, and a man who has been surgically castrated also requires hormone suppressants in a lot of cases.

I should add that such castrations are usually only performed on the request of convicted serious sex offenders who know that that is the only way to stop them re-offending.

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Very few dogs have a vasectomy, there is no point.
Agreed again, but it is done, especially in small dogs [and cats] where quick neutering is necessary.

A now very ex-friend of mine wanted her dog neutered when she then acquired a bitch. She decided it was cheaper to have the dog "done" than the bitch but was too stingy to pay for castration, so he had a much cheaper vasectomy and promptly drove her poor little bitch mad every time she came into season, mating with her as often as he had the chance.

As he was "firing blanks" nothing came of it, but the much smaller bitch suffered badly from his attentions, because she was one of those bitches who was never receptive during her season

Had he been castrated that really should not have happened.