Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 11:52 AM

Why am I worrying about hydrotherapy ?

I've just booked Toro a hydrotherapy session and now I'm paniking, why ? she swims, shes not afraid of water, I'm hoping it will give her a wee bit more stimulation than boreing walks on lead...
anyone use hydrotherapy for their dogs ?is there anything I should ask before it ? be wary of ?

Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Is it a treadmill or pool she will be using ??
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Awww, don't worry, I'm sure you'll have great fun I take Cain from time to time.

Things you might like to ask
Are all dogs up to date with their vaccinations? My place you have to present an up to date vaccination card before you can swim.
Can you go in the water with your dog if you like? I went in with Cain the first time, but he swam like a duck.
Do they provide life jackets? I'm sure they do and may put your mind at rest for the first session.
Do they provide toys? Our place had loads of lovely squeaky Air Kong toys for the dogs to chase
Do you need to take a towel?
Presumably you have private hire of the pool?

If you really are worried, can you pop in a see if first? See how deep it is. See if there is a nice slope to get in and out.

Really though, I'm sure you'll have so much fun! If you are a little worried make sure she wears a life jacket and see if you, or a member of staff, goes in the water with her.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I've just booked Toro a hydrotherapy session and now I'm paniking, why ? she swims, shes not afraid of water, I'm hoping it will give her a wee bit more stimulation than boreing walks on lead...
anyone use hydrotherapy for their dogs ?is there anything I should ask before it ? be wary of ?

Like anything you should choose your provder carefully.

The therapists should be registered with NARCH (this organisation covers the individual rather than the site). CHA really focuses on the business not the quality of the therapists.

They should only accept dogs via vet referral/permission.

Dogs can be INJURED by swimming as well as helped, you as a layman will not know.

The depth of the pool will affect the dog as will the presence and strength of jets etc.

The presence of toys etc comes way down the list.............
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Like anything you should choose your provder carefully.

The therapists should be registered with NARCH (this organisation covers the individual rather than the site). CHA really focuses on the business not the quality of the therapists.

They should only accept dogs via vet referral/permission.

Dogs can be INJURED by swimming as well as helped, you as a layman will not know.

The depth of the pool will affect the dog as will the presence and strength of jets etc.

The presence of toys etc comes way down the list.............

But the OP has said that they are taking their dog along to provide some variety of exercise that they can't get on walks. I agree with all your point if it was an injured dog who was going for actual hydrotherapy, however if this is a fit and healthy dog going swimming for fun them there's no reason for them to need to be referred by a vet....

And Cain would dispute the fact that toys are not important Without his squeaky tennis ball I'd have just paid £25 for him to stand on the side and sulk
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
But the OP has said that they are taking their dog along to provide some variety of exercise that they can't get on walks. I agree with all your point if it was an injured dog who was going for actual hydrotherapy, however if this is a fit and healthy dog going swimming for fun them there's no reason for them to need to be referred by a vet....

And Cain would dispute the fact that toys are not important Without his squeaky tennis ball I'd have just paid £25 for him to stand on the side and sulk
No reputable hydrotherapy organisation will accept a dog WITHOUT vet permission!

And a fit dog CAN be damaged by OVER swimming, swimming in unhygienic conditions, etc etc.

Yes you are right, some dogs NEED toys to swim, others do not, they just love swimming.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will be asking a bit more...its only £10 per session, the boy goes in with Toro and she will have a life jacket, I don't think I want her in any longer than a minute to start, or if she looks tierd before she will stop earlier ...he didn't ask about innoculations, and didn't mention hygiene about the pool...so much to consider ! x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 02:15 PM
the first thing I would want to see is their legionella testing regime.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Yip, your right, I will be asking for details, the guy will probs wish he never spoke to me, Toros everything to us and I wouldn't want to chance anything with her, I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt if I put her in some where without asking and she ended up ill or worse dead through an infection or some thing x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Which is why only patronising establishments which belong to a professional body is the way to go.

Good luck
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >