Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
timmcguire
New Member!
Male 

27-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Can your dog predict natural disaster?

I am writing an article for a dog magazine in the UK on dogs' ability to detect in advance earthquakes or other natural disasters.

I'd be very interested to hear any experiences where your dog has behaved differently to warn you of an impending natural disaster such as an earthquake.

I have a 2 1/2 year old Labradoodle and I can tell she has no inkling of impending bad weather, but she doesn't like going out in the rain. I think she's a fairweather dog.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 07:51 PM
We had an earthquake here a few years ago. Annoyingly I am a very light sleeper and wake as soon as Max or my OH stirs in their sleep. I was woken by the earthquake and not Max, he woke up too as the wardrobe doors were banging loudly. I have heard before about animals detecting natural disasters but I don't think that Max can!
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Michael (collie x springer) gets tetchy and nervous when thunder and lightening is due but that's all I have noticed
ATD x
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2011, 02:01 PM
My previous bitch Anni who was terrified of thunder used to start getting agitated about 40 minutes before the thunder arrived. I'm told she was responding to changes in atmospheric pressure. Don't know if the current pair can't feel it or if they just don't respond as they have no fear of thunder. I immagine there would be changes in pressure before a natural disaster so this might explain things.
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-04-2011, 03:00 PM
does anyone have a dog that can predict the lotto numbers.
just pm me the numbers thanks.
timmcguire
New Member!
Male 

03-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
My previous bitch Anni who was terrified of thunder used to start getting agitated about 40 minutes before the thunder arrived. I'm told she was responding to changes in atmospheric pressure. Don't know if the current pair can't feel it or if they just don't respond as they have no fear of thunder. I immagine there would be changes in pressure before a natural disaster so this might explain things.

I'd like to quote your email in my article. Please can you mail me at tim.mcguire@btinternet.com if this is ok