register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Do you choose leads and collars based purely on function - or also on style?
I only care if the lead/collar is strong, secure, reliable. 9 18.75%
I choose according to function but also consider colour etc 30 62.50%
I care a lot about how my dog(s) look in their lead/collar/harness, I go for style 4 8.33%
I have various items, some for function, others for style, colour etc 11 22.92%
My dog is male, I go for function - if I had a female dog, I would look more at colour etc 2 4.17%
I think any dogs in 'pretty' or 'gimmicky' items look absurd! 3 6.25%
I go for function - but now the sun is shining I'm tempted to get a new collar in a brighter colour 2 4.17%
Price is the only criteria for me 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 12:08 AM

When buying collars and leads:

Do you buy them purely for function and reliability - or do you also consider colour, style and how your dogs will 'look' in them....?

Does the dog's gender play a part? If you had/have a female dog, are you more inclined to buy them 'pretty' or 'chic' collars etc.....?

Does the size of the dog play a part? I see lots of small dogs in pastel-coloured coats and collars, for instance.

Am looking forward to your answers
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm not bothered at all about colour or pretty patterns because they only end up getting caked in mud and poo. All I want is something that is going to last longer than 5 minutes, is practical (easy to clean, preferably doesn't hold smells) and doesn't cost the earth.

My big two wear rolled leather collars, which are good because they don't mark the neck fur, are strong, don't smell and are easy to clean. I also have a couple of waterproof Dublin Dog rubber collars kicking around that they also wear sometimes which are great.

My girls have fleece harnesses from Snugglepets too, which are excellent and have never come close to needing replacing.

For leads, I've not found anything that has topped the Halti leads in terms of quality, versatility and price.
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 04:03 AM
Had to vote twice as I choose my showleads for colour etc.. and also function as such
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 06:35 AM
I voted for various

as I have ones for function, but Skye wears a pink collar as she is very much a ''pinky girl''
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:13 AM
mine have all hand made leather bling collars from Pet needs. I choose the stones/colorways & design!

For leads i like pretty colours (again Pet needs hand made rope leads) & for function tuggability!

i care about my dogs appreance & about comfot for them & me! only the best will do!(for me thats Pet Needs!)
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:19 AM
I have long 1" wide bridle leather leads, and mostly hound collars. Not much point in fancy leads and collars when you are up to your neck in mud most of the time!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:31 AM
I buy in "boy colour" and "girl colour" since everyone gets my two mixed up and I don't want their feelings hurt I used to by my old dog fancy collars but these two used to drag each other around by their collars so I never bothered, now they just get too dirty for it to be worth it
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:37 AM
I voted for function but will take colour into account but my first priority is really comfort for my dogs.

I also have to take into account that the collars are often wet & muddy so I need something reasonably hard-wearing & I only ever buy collars with plastic fasteners as the metal ones always seem to go rusty.

I do have a thing about having matching leads though, and I have bought Wilma a pink collar as I was fed up with everyone assuming she's a boy just 'cos she's black!

I usually buy Rogz collars & leads but I'm thinking of trying the Lupine collars next time. I also have lightweight waterproof collars (& matching leads of course!) that I bought at a dog show which are their swimming collars.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Dan has practical training leads, as does Rio but hers is in pink. Rio has an extensive collar collection - a girl's gotta accessorize! Rogue has a range of collars and leads too. I like them to have decent quality practical collars and leads that also look good.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Axel used to have blue collars and everything else black, but now it's all black with silver furnishings. If he was coloured I might go for colour, but I think black suits him. I also think if he was a girl I'd go more for colour/style.
I also prefer how he looks in photo's with all black, so I can look at him and not distracted by a blue collar or anything else bright.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >