Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2006, 08:02 PM

Rescue hamsters

Does anyone know what happens when you go to get a rescue hamster? Do you still need a home check or do they give you the hamster the same day? What kind of questions do they ask and is there anything else I should know about the process?
Haven't decided if i'll be getting one yet, but I want to be prepared.

Thanks
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2006, 02:43 PM
hi babe,,

hammies can be nice but my recomendation would be to get a ratlet,, they are the best rodent pet you can have
very very loving, inteligent and crave your attention, fab lil pets but then seeing as im on my 7th ratty friend im biast lol
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2006, 03:53 PM

My mum says she will never visit again if I had a rat Even the word rat makes her feel sick Otherwise I wouldn't mind having one I hope your new ratty is doing ok now
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap

My mum says she will never visit again if I had a rat Even the word rat makes her feel sick Otherwise I wouldn't mind having one I hope you're new ratty is doing ok now
my mum doesnt like them either, but them make much better pets

she is fine now, settling in nice and we are off in about half hour to find her a friend

good luck with whatever you decide hun x x
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks I might just wait and see what's available. or what pulls the heartstrings most

Good luck finding a freind, can't wait to see pics
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 10:43 AM
If you keep a rat - please keep in at least pairs as htey really dislike being alone. we currently have 13 and are being mentored for breeding in the future - hopefully our first litter of Russian silvers will be born in the winter.

On the hamster topic - we have a loadof hamsters that were dumped on us recently, possibly pregnant, who need a good home!
email me if you want any more info!

xx
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks Zounds I don't think i will get a rat because my mum would really never visit
Good luck with your litter in winter

RE the hamsters, I would love to help and give a loving home. But if they are with you in Wales that is a problem, I live near London poor little things, hope they're all ok.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 05:47 PM
I have to admit, i didn't really give much thought to there being many hamsters in rescues. You always think of cats,dogs, horses etc needing homes, but i didn't really think that there would be all that many hamsters and similar sort of things, but i've been told that there are hundreds needing homes!! I think if i got another one i'd go to a rescue to get one, so i'd be interested to hear how they go about rehoming these sort of animals.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 08:34 PM
I didn't think there were many hamsters in rescue either. They only live for a few years I assumed they would be fine in homes for that long. Then I read on here that there are loads It's not advertised in the same way as dogs and cats so a lot of people probably don't know. It's a shame

The only thing that puts me off slightly is that if they aren't sure of the age it might die quickly but i had a pet shop hamster thatbdied after a few months so I've decided I will probably just go for it with a rescue one
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 09:30 PM
rescues are desperate to place small furries. idiots buy them from petshops, then get bored and dump them in a field or similar - and we have to pick up the pieces. I only take in one or two now and then - some people take in hundreds and they are saints.

I recently took on 6 rabbits and 7 hamsters all bar one pregnant - and that is extremely difficult.

xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >