View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ingi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-06-2009, 08:30 AM
we have our 2 on the back seats with car harnessess on attached to the seat belts to stop them shooting forward. I suppose it depends on how bad the crash is as to how injured a dog can get, unfortunately seats and seat belts that are designed for humans don't always save us so dogs may also get hurt in crashes. I think once Nanuq is fully grown we may get crates for them.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 09:59 AM
As I said on your other thread, I'm so glad that you were all safe but I agree, it's a very worrying thing to think about what would happen to our dogs in a crash.

Prior to getting Max I had a car accident. I was stationary, indicating to turn into my work place, and someone in a range rover, doing about 50 mph, smashed into the back of my fiesta. There was a lot of damage to the back end of my car, the boot flew open, the back windscreen smashed, there was glass all over me in the front, and the car was dented by about 3 feet in the back. I think any dog in the back would have been killed.

It played on my mind so when we got Max, my vehicle had a dog guard, tailgate guard and towbar and that was a lot safer for him.

I've just changed my car in the last couple of months and have a custom made crate for it with an escape hatch at the front. On getting it I took it to be measured within 24 hours but in the 4 weeks or so it took for the cage to be made, I had to make do with a universal dog guard and no tailgate guard. I did worry what would happen to Max if the worst happened. We have a caravan so shortly I will be getting a towbar fitted to my new car which will be even better for protecting Max.

I had a minor incident in my last car when I was going though a village on my way to walk Max. There were cars parked on the other side of the road and, as I was coming through, someone in their works van pulled onto my side of the road to try and get through and took my wingmirror off. Off he drove so I had to turn around and drive after him and flashed him down into a garage. Both Max and I were fine but Max knew where we were going and wasn't happy at the detour. When I got him to stop, the guy looked at the damage and then looked rather shocked at seeing Max staring at him in the back and said 'That's a big dog'. 'Yes he is. I'd like your details please' I said.
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I use dog crates in my van but only the really expensive ones that state they are designed to withstand an accident are really safe.

Most estate cars are designed so that the rear section concertinas in an accident to take the force of the impact and so protect the passengers - so not really the safest place for the dogs. Volvo is one of the few manufacturers who reinforce this section - at least that used to be the case, I'm a bit out of touch since getting my transit and possibly more manufacturers do it now.

I think only a restraining harness should be used to restrain a dog as a collar could cause injury in a collision.

It is also a good idea to have a card displayed on your dashboard or somewhere obvious with the contact details of someone who would care for your dogs in the event of an accident. List how many dogs you have etc. Even if the dogs aren't actually with you at least someone you trust can be contacted to go to your home and care for your dogs (by prior arrangement of course).

What a morbid thought - safe driving everyone!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 10:45 AM
got one of these over a year ago on recommendations, was glad i did when i watched this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYKaf....uk/boxes.html
not the cheapest in the world, but would be happy that the dogs are safe
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2009, 10:46 AM
It does pay to plan for what you hope won't happen. Everything I have read suggests the safest place for a dog in an accident is in a crate secured in the back. The harnesses add no extra protection for the dog, but do keep them from being thrown forward protecting both them and people.

A crate would never do in our Cavalier and my truck doesn't have a back seat. Our dogs ride in what is the next safest place, the passenger's footwell. They are kept on leash. In a crash, they would only be plastered against the firewall, safely below the killer airbags.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
A good friend of mine(sadly no longer alive)used to make custom built car/van crates. He made some for a lady who had bought a new car & she collected them & he fitted they into her car.

On the way home she was side swiped on the motorway by an Arctic's trailer & the car rolled over & down an embankment.

The car obviously was a write off & her life & her dogs lives were saved by the crates which had stopped the roof crushing her. The emergency services expected to find her dead, but although she had cuts & bruises & whiplash & the dogs were shaken & bruises they could all walk away from car !
What an amazing story, thanks for sharing that!

A custom built is what I'd like to get really, as we have four dogs. I'd like one to fill the entire back of our Jeep too with the seats down, not just the boot portion - what sort of company would do custom car/van crates? I've just done a google search and didn't see anything useful!!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Our custom made one came from Barjo and I have no complaints, they were very accommodating for our strange shaped boot.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2