Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2007, 12:31 PM

Homecheck on Sunday - advice please!!!

Hi, we are due a homecheck from RSPCA for one of their dogs. Just need some advice / reassurance!

He is an 8 yr old lab cross. Labrador sized - very sweet! We live in a ground floor maisionette with private garden. Its fair sized - with 2 double bedrooms and a large front room. I'm just concerned they will think because its a flat its too small?

Also - I work full time (the reason behind me getting an older dog) AM is 4 hrs, come home from lunch for an hour then PM is 3 hrs. No travel time involved (work is across road) But is that deemed too long?

Also ( ) We've been living there for 3 months and chucked all our old unused stuff away (fresh start) - which has left 1 room completely empty bar 2 rats and a hamster. We have everything we need and completely unpacked and settled - its just we havent found a use for the second room - would they think this is odd?..... also, the rodents... we have had foster dogs before - one of which was very prey driven and we managed perfectly with dog and rats... but not sure if this would also put homechecker off?

Finally!!!! anything we need to do? or am I just getting paranoid now? I am being paranoid, right? I Have my heart set on this pooch
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Whack in loads of dog beds and toys and tell them this is the dogs special room if he wants it, door open all the time so he can come and go!
Becky
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Good idea Mahooli thats what i was going to say
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Make sure the garden is secure and dog friendly, and that you'll be able to give the boy exercise, shouldn't think your other pets would be a problem, good luck
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 01:28 PM
As said above. Most important is garden is secure and dog friendly. Don't worry about living in a flat. Think of it as a two bed bungalow. Makes no difference to a dog. In terms of working hours, they should have asked you about this before hand, however people have to work at the end of the day. Perhaps think about having some time off though to help settle the dog in. This would look positive too.
Just make sure your flat is tidy and safe. They will not be interested that you have an empty room.
The best policy is honesty, no-one is trying to catch you out, just answer any questions as best you can.
I'm sure you won't find any problems. Good luck and let us know how you go. I think it's great your giving a home to a more mature canine. Good on you.
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your advice everyone!
Yes - garden has a 6 foot fence round 3 sides, and on the other side there is a 6 foot high dense prickly bush type thing - it about a meter in depth - the owner before us was so worried burglers would try and get in over the field (we live next to a crop field) that she ordered the gardener to grow the biggest, thickist, spikiest hedge to protect her house its a monster!!! anyways thats a different matter

Will do dog room idea.... thanks everyone!
better get myself some dog beds!!

Working hours - yes - I had to fill in the adoption form and there wasnt enough room to write the specifics so I told them about working 4, then 3 hrs.... then they went ahead and booked me a home visit

fingers crossed x
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Normally they'll approve you on the application form then do the home visit. I honestly don't think you've got anything to worry about.
I would just check that hedge. It's amazing what a small hole a dog can push through. It can be easily fixed with some wire fencing.
Let us know next week how you got on.

Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Good Luck!
Becky
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Good luck for Sunday!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Don't worry i'm sure you will be fine!

Fencing as has been said, if you have had dogs before or foster dogs then I don't see a problem at all. They will just want to know you are dog minded. I have a cousin who does homechecks and I say this story everytime, but he once went to see a lady who was after a small shi tzu type dog, and when he asked would she be prepared to fence off her garden she said, "No I will teach him to sit still on the grass and not run off"! She was refused!

Some people are unbelieveable and want a black dog to match their black leather sofa and so on. So long as your not a complete numpty and your house isn't falling apart, then i'm sure you will be ok!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >