Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Allie & Russ
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2006, 08:49 AM

Advice Please.

Hope I am posting this in the right place, if not sorry!

Just after a bit of advice. A lady I work with has recently taken in a dog from a local “rescue”. She has asked for the papers for the dog but the rescue have refused (they probably have them as they have told her “there is nothing special in her lines”).

At first I was thinking it could be to stop the breeding side of it but the dog she has taken has been spayed so no issue there. The lady who runs the rescue is also a breeder. Could it be possible she is holding the paperwork back for the wrong reasons?

Any idea if you are entitled to paperwork when taking on a rescue? The only reason she wants it is for info as a few have asked her lines and she doesn’t know.

Many Thanks
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 09:54 AM
All I can tell you is I was never offered any paperwork with my rescue gsd, even though the rescue centre had originally rehomed this dog 5 years prior to me getting him, so had always kept tabs on him? The only paperwork I got were his vet's details, nothing else. I wouldn't have wanted them anyway, but if your friend does, then why not ask them again? At least that way they'd give you an answer as to why they don't release them?
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 10:03 AM
If she is spayed there shoudl be no reason. I am interested in lineage, and living in the age of the internet, I was able to find a picture of my dogs great great great great...(you get the picture) grandfather from the 1920's which I was pleased about. It doesn't MEAN anything, but it's nice to have if your interested. I would explain your case, and ask for the reasons.

Most people keep the paperwork a secret as you could get the names and sell them as fakes with a pup or something the weird people do...
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 10:03 AM
I've never known any rescue to give the papers with the dog!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 10:04 AM
as far as I was aware reputable rescue's do not give the papers as its not just for breeding - its if you decide you no longer want the dog then you are supposed to give it back to rescue - if you have the papers whats to stop you from selling it on??

so doubt the rescue will hand them over and they shouldnt anyway
Allie & Russ
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2006, 10:11 AM
I see!!! Thanks for that, I will pass the info on
Allie & Russ
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2006, 10:25 AM
I passed the info on. Thanks!

She wanted to know if there would be any reason why they wouldn’t let her know its pedigree/or name. That’s all she’s after really. A copy of the papers would be nice but if not, just written down. She just wanted the info KWIM?
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I dont give out papers with any dogs that are rehomed via rescue, and most breed rescues will have such a policy.

Although I understand that new owners might be curious as to the dogs pedigree - its the dog that matters, and not the bits of paper!
What would your friend do if no papers were available, or if the dog was a mixed breed - she wouldnt be fretting about it

thandi
Allie & Russ
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Your right, I think she was just a little curious about her new friend and also curious as to why the lady wouldnt give her the papers and also wouldnt explain why.

Thanks for the help I will pass on this message like I did the others.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 01:04 PM
I got Tia`s papers when i rescued her, but i have since been told that i shouldnt have recieved them.

As far as i know the rescue isnt supposed to give out the papers : )
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >