Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2014, 09:15 PM

Dog food costs...

Okay so Nigredo has hit the 80 lb mark and he is whizzing through dog food. I normally buy him a 15 lb bag of his food from the local Wal-Mart (like Tesco in the UK).

He usually eats this one food because the rest have soy and he is allergic to soy. I found another food (no soy) that we tried last time, but he didn't do as well on it. Bigger poo, gas etc. It had wheat in it... which I guess was the issue.

I realized that it's becoming wasteful to buy this size bag because it's scarcely lasting two weeks. Anyway, he is a healthy growing puppy but food costs are getting somewhat high.

I went to the feed store and I got him a 40 lb bag of food. They don't sell bags this large at the local Wal Mart and the 25 and 30 lb bags aren't the right brands.

I spent the extra $ because I think that in the end... it will cost less and I don't drive so it will cut down on the visits. He is not picky and will eat anything. He has a very healthy appetite.

I'm willing to suck it up, because he isn't done growing yet and he is going to eat a lot anyway - but might there be any way for me to cut down food costs? Again, I KNOW that I will have to spend the money on it regardless because 80 lb dogs eat a lot, just wondering if something might cut cost a tiny bit?

He can't eat really cheap food because he is allergic to it, so that won't work at all. I'd have just bought a lower quality food if this was the issue normally... but I can't in this case.

Thanks for any input
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Can you not buy stuff on-line?

I know here in the UK you can quite often get better deals on dog food if you buy on-line (and it's often the better quality stuff too) plus if you get a certain amount it's free delivery
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Even Cyprus has started offering a dog food delivery service!

I couldn't believe it and it's our Meester Delivery company the same one that delivers from every restaurant and taverna on the island lol! It amuses me because when you call them, they know who you are right away from your number and their system and the only thing they ever say when you've ordered is 'be there in 40 minutes' - I am imagining saying to Bella 'be patient - it will be here in 40 minutes!'

Now delivering dog food! I wonder if the poor delivery guy will still get 'a tip' when he has to deliver dog food like he does when delivering meals?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 12:59 PM
I have looked around and shipping costs tend to be very high on dog food unless you subscribe to it and they send it like once every two months or so. But I don't want that because he likes different flavor and they'd keep sending the same exact food over and over again.

I'll certainly look around more and see if I can find it online.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Good luck. I suspect one serving of a meal for Nigredo would keep Bella going for a month!
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2014, 01:19 PM
Hey Myra, have you looked at Pet Chef? They have a few foods on there and their basic adult maintenance one has no soy in it. Looks like they only charge $2.50 for delivery and they deliver all over Atlanta.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Okay so Nigredo has hit the 80 lb mark and he is whizzing through dog food. I normally buy him a 15 lb bag of his food from the local Wal-Mart (like Tesco in the UK).

He usually eats this one food because the rest have soy and he is allergic to soy. I found another food (no soy) that we tried last time, but he didn't do as well on it. Bigger poo, gas etc. It had wheat in it... which I guess was the issue.

I realized that it's becoming wasteful to buy this size bag because it's scarcely lasting two weeks. Anyway, he is a healthy growing puppy but food costs are getting somewhat high.

I went to the feed store and I got him a 40 lb bag of food. They don't sell bags this large at the local Wal Mart and the 25 and 30 lb bags aren't the right brands.

I spent the extra $ because I think that in the end... it will cost less and I don't drive so it will cut down on the visits. He is not picky and will eat anything. He has a very healthy appetite.

I'm willing to suck it up, because he isn't done growing yet and he is going to eat a lot anyway - but might there be any way for me to cut down food costs? Again, I KNOW that I will have to spend the money on it regardless because 80 lb dogs eat a lot, just wondering if something might cut cost a tiny bit?

He can't eat really cheap food because he is allergic to it, so that won't work at all. I'd have just bought a lower quality food if this was the issue normally... but I can't in this case.

Thanks for any input
80lbs.... that's as heavy as some full grown mastiff breeds....

You say a 15kg bag only lasts you two weeks... I take it you only feed Nigredo this food, and not both dogs........ even if you fed it to both dogs it should last you longer than two weeks.

How much do you give him daily.... are you using the guide lines on feeding or are you feeding to his weight.

Its important to remember you should be feeding to his ideal weight (on guidelines) NOT what he weighs now.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

10-03-2014, 04:57 PM
80 lb can't be the same as a full grown mastiff I'm sure Syd was 46kgs and that is equal to 100 lbs I think, 80lbs is about equal 36kgs. Although from what I remember of feeding kibble that does sound as though you are getting through it rather quickly.

ETA I thought it was a 15 kg bag just re read it and it's 15 pounds sorry.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

10-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Sorry Myra I think Jackie and I are both getting our kilo's and pounds in a twist.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

10-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Sorry Myra I think Jackie and I are both getting our kilo's and pounds in a twist.
Yep, I thought she said kg not lbs.... Regards the weight, it's still heavy for. Lab type dog...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >