Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by Harry21 View Post
Adders can't kill tho can they? Sorry for your news wolfdogowner! Hope dogs well.
From the British Medical Journal: "Every year, hundreds of people and unknown numbers of dogs and other domestic animals in England, Wales, and Scotland are bitten by our only indigenous venomous snake, the adder (Vipera berus) (fig 1). UK poisons centres are consulted about an average of 100 human and a dozen veterinary cases each year. In about 70% of patients, envenoming is negligible or purely local, causing pain, swelling, and inflammation of the bitten digit. Only 14 fatalities have been reported since 1876,1 the last in a 5 year old child in 1975,w1 but adder bites should not be underestimated. On rare occasions, envenoming can be life threatening, especially in children, and many adults experience prolonged discomfort and disability after the bite."

Full article:
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/...27/1244?ck=nck

He is up this morning and still very grumpy! He is the sort of dog that one worries about, allergic to things etc a real delicate petal.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-05-2009, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
The snakes are out here too! I work at an Animal Emergency Clinic and we see four or five in a weekend. Mostly Copperheads, the occassional rattlesnake. I'm glad your dog is going to be okay!
Ouch, you can keep those Copperheads and Rattlers!!!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm glad to hear he's OK Wolfdog, what a worry!
I sometimes walk in the New Forest and there are plenty there. It concerns me that a vet would be a long way away due to the length of the walk, location, etc....

Wys
x
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-05-2009, 06:25 AM
Just moved house and didn't know a vet but luckily I had seen a vets while driving into town and found them in the phone book- not exactly how I had planned an introduction!
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Hope your dog will be ok, never even given snakes a consideration here but will be more vigilant from now on.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes good luck. Did the puncture site swell up a lot too? I know you actually saw it, but I'm just wondering if you could give me a rundown on the immediate symptoms please, only because I too walk in an area which is well known for them, but it's such a lovely walk and I do it so early in the morning they wouldn't be about quite honestly, but just in case, it would be nice to know the symptoms please!

All the best, I've heard of a few getting bitten around here and they've always been ok after a visit to the vets, so I'm sure you dog will be fine too!
This is one thing that worries me also, where we have our Caravan in Wales, the dunes are know to populate Adders.. and I am always on the lookout..
Originally Posted by Harry21
Adders can't kill tho can they? Sorry for your news wolfdogowner! Hope dogs well
Yes, they can is the bite goes undetected.. some one already said "cardio" I think if the venom gets to the blood stream into the heart... or something like that??
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
Hope your dog will be ok, never even given snakes a consideration here but will be more vigilant from now on.
Me neither, I'm not fond of snakes myself, if I saw one I'd be likely to react like my OH does when theres a spider about, and start screaming or running away, although I saw one in a pet shop once and I was frozen to the spot so thats not helpful either! I'll have to hope I don't see one, hope your dog is ok now.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm glad your dog is going to be OK, what a shock for both you and him to have to go through. Luckily up in Scotland where I live I don't think they are a concern, but I'm taking both dogs to France this summer so I will be vigilant. Thanks for raising the matter.

All the best to you boy for a fast recovery.

How is he today, any better?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Just caught this thread. Hope you boy is going to be fine, healing thoughts from us xxxx
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Hope your boy makes a speedy recovery bless him.

I am worried about snakes where we walk. There are known to be adders there but its such a lovely place to go and the OH thinks i am being silly saying i wont go cos of snakes. But maybe now i have a point!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >