register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: how many people here have owned abused dogs?
I have never owned a dog that has been abused. 28 38.36%
My dog has showed behaviour that makes me think s/he was abused. 12 16.44%
I have had a dog that had physical signs of abuse. 15 20.55%
I have had a dog with a documented previous history of abuse. 21 28.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mayvren
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-02-2008, 08:40 PM

Thanks everyone for all the help and the stories.

The first dog I had when I got out on my own was a Alaskan Malamute mix. I found her in a dank little corner and thought she looked so like a wolf. I took her in and by god did she have problems. She would flatten to the floor and pee herself if a foot got near her or someone stood up or just about anything. She would cringe an jump and the poor dog did everything typical of a severly abused dog. I had her for 10 years and it was only in the last 4 that she really came into her own and a lot of the phobias disapeared. So I understand all your stories. Saddly my girl Cora was PTS in November at 14-16 years.

Ookie had been gotten from this same GSD Rescue as a companion for Cora. She is only 3 years old and full of fun. Her story is sad too. Aparently her first home abused her to such an extent that the local vet took her off her owners. Her second owners loved her for a year and then had to move to Australia and could not afford to take her. So she came to me. The only signs I've seen have been a worry around some men. We got her in August to be Cora's companion as we finally had moved into a big enough house. We knew Cora was on the way out but she always wanted a friend so her last months were happy.

Ookie mourned for Cora very hard. We were scared and even though I wasn't ready (Cora was like my soul mate) we got in touch with the same GSD Rescue for a companion. Kavik came to us at the begining of Febuary and they have been inseperable since. It's really cute to see. He's not quite up to her energy yet, but I think he will be when he's feeling a bit better.

So that's the story.

Fliggle, I had to cut back our nightly walk from 30 min to 15 min because our Vet kept weighing Kavik and seeing that he's loosing weight despite the food. The last three nights he's been very happy to come back early, everything tires him. I hope that your Dingo gets better with my boy. *hugs* Thanks for sharing. It's good to talk about.

Now here's a question. Those of you who have had underfed dogs, did you have agression problems with small animals. We have two cats and Kavik lived with a cat and a Yorkie and yet he chases our cats with a vigor. Ookie did too for the first month but not with this intensity. He's had his mouth on them but doesn't hurt them. I think it is a primal need to hunt triggered by his insane thinness. What do you think?

Until he's fighting fit we are keeping them as seperate as possible. At the moment I don't think we can judge his temperment in anything.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Kavik is beautiful, so sorry to hear he was so ill-treated before you got him, poor boy

At least he has a wonderful home with you now.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Mayvren View Post

Our vet has been shocked by him. He can only eat in small bursts of about half a cup of food at the most. While its very good news that my lovely big lad is eating more, my vet has been concerned about his past. I told her what I knew. I gave her the email for the Rescue and a card I found in Kavik's papers from his previous vet........................ I think she may be thinking of prosecuting the people who did this to him. ................................Has anyone here had a similar experience?

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Alison
Alison, what a great job you are doing for Karvik, the wonderful thing about taking in a rescue is when he/she finally becomes part of your 'pack' as you know that can take time but I'm sure you'll get there in the end and he'll be a joy to own. Sorry can't really offer any help other than follow your vets advice. I hope a prosecution can be brought it will hopefully make a few people think.

Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Some months later we were doing our bathroom (DIY freaks here!) and Dave picked up a broom to sweep the bathroom floor, he wasn't even all that close to Max, but as soon as Max saw the broom he threw himself against the wall and cowered. Months later, after moving, I was sweeping our garden path and Max came up and tried to grab the broom and went into playful mode and I ran around the garden pretending to sweep him up, it was a great game and he loved it. It was made all the more great because just a few months earlier the broom had been an object he feared and now it was an object to play with and have fun with.
Jane that is so nice you must be pleased, as you know Bara came to us after her breeder had to take her back from her first home. We also don't know much, it was said that they were going to have her PTS anyway she was also afraid of brooms, she really wanted to run away when I was using one, now she'll play with it, often by biting the bristles and letting me try to pull it from her. As you say it's so nice to see a dog overcome what had obviously been an object of fear for them.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Oh, Alison. He's so beautiful, it always amazes me just how cruel us "humans" can be to a poor defenceless animal. Kavik is very lucky to have found you, and I sincerely hope he fully recovers, and can enjoy the rest of his life living in the lap of luxury. Bless you xox
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 09:23 PM
What a very heart warming post, you are a very special Mum to Kavik x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 09:48 PM

This is my Nonna's old dog Zephyr who was foudn chained up to a lampost covered in cigarette burns and stick thin.

He was taken to dogs home where he was rescued by my Nonna -
He took a week to come out the corner of the room and then only for food. we used to have to handfeed him to get him to come to the bowl.

however once he frealised he had landed on his feet -he was the best dog - daft as a brush with very little training, but absolutely bombproof with the grandkids and just a beautiful personality. he lived to be about 14 and had to be PTS in the end as his back legs gave up on him. But he truly was a beautiful dog who didnt deserve his previous life.

Kavik is lovely and I hope that he gets a chance to prove how amazing he can be ...
they never forget - but i beleive that they appreciate their rescuer and give more love than you can ever get from a dog from puppyhood.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Yes with Reah. she was 5 yr old BC approx 9.5kg and only ate bread.
It took approx 3 months to stop her from stealing bread and raiding bins for bits of bread or crusts.
The first I offered her a chew she backed away and refused to take it, as I went forward to coax her she snapped at me and then started screaming.

The rescue (where her previous owner got her from) gave some vague history of puppy farming and that she had also been dumped somewhere.

Now she's a healthy 17.5kg and eats all her DOG food. Hope it all goes well and well done to you for taking that poor baby xx
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Thank you for taking on Kavic.

My first jack was abused, and we knew her abusers - and I reported them to the RSPCA - who old me that they would prosecute BUT and this was a big BUT.. Spotty would have to go into kennels whilst the legal case was ongoing.

I had only just got the people concerned to give her up to me, and the thought of her being in kennels whilst a prosecution case was pending was just too much - we couldn't do it.

Our current jack, whilst no history of abuse, is so terrified at the sight of a brush that I can well imagine what's been done to her. That combined with the fact that when I massaged her I was finding a large area of tension on her rear left rump. It took me a year of daily massage for that tense area to relax and stay relaxed. (and I am not an amateur!)

We can pick up a brush now and she doesn't bite or bolt. Time. patience, kindness and training all help to overcome the problems.

Strangely enough, she used to act as if she was starving all the time too, when we first got her. She too has a sensitive stomach - but Missy does very well on JWB duck and rice with an omega 3 oil supplement too. Couple of months of that food and she no longer acted starving.

Kavik is a blessed dog to have found you *hugs*
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:19 AM
What a beautiful dog, well done for taking him on.

My collie Ben was a stray when we took him on, he was in the local rescue centre. He was terrified and so stick thin. But he fairly came out of himself and was known to tell you it was dinner time by carrying his bowl to you and dumping it at your feet He was very intelligent in most ways but no common sense..this is the fella who ran through the woods carrying a branch twice as wide as the path....
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2008, 09:45 AM
My story isnt nearly as bad as yours: Michael is a rescue dog he was a stray in warrington. When I got him home he was fine with me, suki and my friend as well as her screaming little boy. But he was scared of mt OH, as well as the hoover and any shouting. He would run upstairs and leave streaks of wee and he ran, even if he was asleep he would leave a puddle where he was lay as well as the streaks up the stairs.

Good look I think rescue animals is general make great pets they are thankfull to be safe, have food and be loved.

ATD xxx
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »