View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:08 AM
Although greyhounds dont need as much exercise as people think they can suffer from seperation anxiety....so not always a great choice to be left all day IMO....although obviously up to individual dog.

A lab will chew the house up guarenteed!!!!
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Tell them to watch or read Marley and me! Its all true!!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Although greyhounds dont need as much exercise as people think they can suffer from seperation anxiety....so not always a great choice to be left all day IMO....although obviously up to individual dog.

A lab will chew the house up guarenteed!!!!
there are so many greys in rescue, the chances of finding one that suffers sep anx is low.
they are especially known as being happy to sleep on the sofa all day, as long as they get a good run in the morning and evening.
you just need to make sure they grey you choose has a known history.

also, im not so convinced either that the scenario, as worded by the OP, rules out a lab
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2009, 08:29 AM
I would take a trip to my local rescue and see what was there. There seem to be alot of dogs coming in from household splits and credit crunch casualties that there might be a dog who has already been used to this pattern and would slot in well to their routines.Character of dog might be more important then breed?
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I would take a trip to my local rescue and see what was there. There seem to be alot of dogs coming in from household splits and credit crunch casualties that there might be a dog who has already been used to this pattern and would slot in well to their routines.Character of dog might be more important then breed?
....good post
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I read the book. It is a fine compendium of what not to do. We have had at least one young Lab in our house most of the time since 1991. At times, our schedules have meant leaving them alone 4-5 hours. By using a crate, the damage has all happened in inattentive moments when we were home.

Getting an older dog from a shelter or rescue and leaving it at doggy day care would be great.

One of the best sources for dogs with a predictable personality is the rescue dogs. These are dogs that lost their home, but were taken into a foster home to be retrained as necessary and placed in the right home for them. You may find a rescue near you starting at http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm The rescues charge a fee to help cover their expenses, but is much less than the price of a puppy plus all its medical expenses the first year.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Adult, assesed rescue is the best option. I'd start here:

http://www.dogsblog.com/index.php
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 01:36 PM
would a rescue not turn them down for having having unsuitable working hours???
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
would a rescue not turn them down for having having unsuitable working hours???
Might not a breeder?

The OP may have to try several rescues as criteria differs. The rescue I assist will rehome to working homes if we have a dog that has come from a similar situation.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Just a little footnote to this thread .. They went and choose a black lab pup from working stock.. So we shall see how that turns out....
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >