Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2010, 03:19 PM

What would you do? Puppy or re-home?

We are taking on another dog early next year, well that was the plan to buy a alaskan malamute pup off a breeder close to us...
As my OH wants a puppy so he can raise it properly how he wants to (which i'm all for)
HOWEVER with the amount of mals and any breed of dog that are currently in rescues I can't help but feel a tad guilty, knowing we could get a mal from the mal rescue and help her (we'd have to get a girl as Kodas not good with other males)

What would you do??
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
We are taking on another dog early next year, well that was the plan to buy a alaskan malamute pup off a breeder close to us...
As my OH wants a puppy so he can raise it properly how he wants to (which i'm all for)
HOWEVER with the amount of mals and any breed of dog that are currently in rescues I can't help but feel a tad guilty, knowing we could get a mal from the mal rescue and help her (we'd have to get a girl as Kodas not good with other males)

What would you do??
I would personally rescue.
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2010, 03:25 PM
i'm leaning more toward that, its a tough one as OH is so keen on a puppy! I know we'd be buying from very reputable AMCUK breeders BUT that still doesnt help all the tons of poor dogs in rescues :/ hmmmm
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 03:28 PM
What about waiting for a puppy to come up for rescue?

They do come up occasionally, my Dalmatian pup was a rescue at 9 weeks old.
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
What about waiting for a puppy to come up for rescue?

They do come up occasionally, my Dalmatian pup was a rescue at 9 weeks old.
well.we could. But being alaskan malamutes, i don't think that would happen very often, and i think if it did you'd have alot of people after it....but something to think over c
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Rescue. If this was me and I wasnt looking at showing then I would be looking at getting a rescue, even wait till a pup croops up like suggested. It does happen.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Puppies do come up in rescue - there have been a couple in the last few years.

Rescues are more likely to be males - far less females come into rescue ....

Bearing in mind that you will have a very small person in the house - I would go with a puppy from a very good breeder who will guide and advise.

Perhaps plan to rescue later on when you have more experience with the breed and an older helper rather than a baby ...
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-08-2010, 04:01 PM
So many people will be in your predicament .. Even more so after watching panorama last night ...
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Hi,

Could you not get a puppy or young dog from a resuce? Whether it be a Mal or a different breed, I'm sure all breeds have very young dogs that need rehoming.

I would rescue first. But obviously ask your chosen rescues if they have any young dogs or puppies in. Or maybe you could put your name forward so that when one does come in, you will get it or be top of the list at the time you dfecide is right to add to your furry family.

Laura xx
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Puppies do come up in rescue - there have been a couple in the last few years.

Rescues are more likely to be males - far less females come into rescue ....

Bearing in mind that you will have a very small person in the house - I would go with a puppy from a very good breeder who will guide and advise.

Perhaps plan to rescue later on when you have more experience with the breed and an older helper rather than a baby ...
Thank you for all the replies everyone..

I can see where you're coming from muddiwarx that a rescued older dog may not be a good idea with a small person in the house....so now im swaying more toward our puppy!! Decisions, i did put it forward to OH about 10mins ago again and he was like "No, Puppy Only"

So I think we'll probably still continue on with our pup, as we do have very good breeders we're getting pup from so plenty of support and so close by too, is sounding like the best option now x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >