register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Dog aggresive dogs on lead
Should be muzzled - end of 68 48.57%
Should have the choice to be unmuzzled 72 51.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 >
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
If things could be only so simple.
I completely agree. I'm beginning to wonder if this person lives under a bridge and eats goats.
oleary
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
ALL dogs should be on leads at ALL times? the majority of dogs pose no safety risk to either people or each other, so why should they be on a lead at all times? how would you suggest that owners of high energy breeds exercise their dogs if they have to be on a lead at all times? or how owners of working dogs would utilize their dogs if they had to be on a lead at all times?
Buy them a treadmill and just switch it on.
oleary
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-01-2012, 09:14 PM
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=jK79LOQiyGQ

TREADMILL FOR DOGS
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by oleary View Post
Buy them a treadmill and just switch it on.
Yes, because a treadmill offers the same mental and physical stimulation the great outdoors offers a dog, doesn't it?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by oleary View Post
I suggest to take him to obedient school and you will find after a few mounts a big change.
Mmm, my male dog is not too keen on being mounted. It has certainly never happened to him at obedience classes!
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Well this thread has taken a bizarre turn!
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Mmm, my male dog is not too keen on being mounted. It has certainly never happened to him at obedience classes!
lol
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2012, 11:19 PM
ok this thread got odd! but i did have an answer haha.

I think that it depends on a few things, including location. Where we are, you can't walk for 2 mins without meeting dog/overfriendly child so on so forth. Took Sweep for a long walk on NYE and he got a bit bullied by a weimaraner (spelling sorry) puppy, and got a bit upset, and it took the owner a long time to get the pup back. Sweep is the most unagressive thing ever, but that's quite common round here, so is small children running up to you making a massive fuss withoug asking if the dog is ok with other dogs/children/fuss. So if i had a dog that could show aggressive behaviour or bite or whatever while i lived here i'd probably have them muzzled just incase. If i lived somewhere where it was possible to get 2 mins peace from all this I'm sure i'd feel differently.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 01:27 AM
I said no.

It isn't something I need to consider with Jake, but I don't agree with automatically muzzling an aggressive dog when on lead. I think it is up to people to take responsibility for their own dogs, and not for others... I certainly don't expect anyone else to take responsibility for Jake.

Jake has been 'attacked' numerous times... none of the aggressive dogs were on lead at the time of the incident... although one dog, Ozzie, had actually snapped his lead to get at Jake. All the others were off lead and running around, one of the dogs was muzzled... it didn't stop Jake being terrified. This was the second time the dog had attacked Jake, as soon as I spotted the dog, I put Jake on the lead and walked quickly in the other direction. The other dog came tearing after us, and I had Jake running round me in circles, Oshi slamming him and me trying to get at Oshi, who kept jumping out of reach when I went for him! I don't think it is as easy to control the situation as people sometimes make out... Jake has been on lead 3 times when he has been attacked. I wouldn't feel happy muzzling him when on lead.

When Ozzie snapped his lead to get to Jake, I didn't for one minute think that he should be muzzled... I actually felt sorry for the owner coz she was so upset about what happened. We later introduced them slowly, and they became friends! They moved away a while ago though, so they don't see each other anymore.

I think too much responsibility gets put on the owner of the aggressive dog, and not with the owner with the dog running up to others who are doing their own thing.
Red[dog]
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2012, 07:19 PM
I think if a dog is highly aggressive and being walked somewhere where there are lots of other dogs off-lead, it should definitely be muzzled.

Many dogs are sociable and love to say hello to others, and I honestly think if a dog's going to try seriously hurt another just for saying hello to it then it should be muzzled, or walked on paths / streets where dogs aren't let off-lead.

I say this because

a) I walk my dog in woodland where there are a lot of off-lead other dogs. Kasper can race around, say hello, and play with others. There have been a few growls and snaps, a few dogs with slight issues with having a dog in their face, that I don't mind. People who walk their dogs there know what to expect; you don't see on-lead dogs being walked there, or highly aggressive dogs, as it simply wouldn't work.

b) Where we used to live there were several aggressive dogs being walked in the fields. One was walked by a dog trainer; a GSD, highly DA, that the 'trainer' would allow off-lead even though it didn't have a good recall at all. Several times we rounded a blind corner with Kasper off-lead and bumped into this dog...the dog trainer was lucky to snatch the dog's collar most times as we recalled Kasp away, but one time I had to run back with Kasper whilst my bf blocked the GSD's way.

Kasper has been attacked several times by dogs as he walks past them, half of them off-lead, and all of them with no warning from the owner. One time a Giant Schnauzer ran at him on a public footpath (Kasper was on-lead, GS off) and pinned him down...the dog had no collar on for us to grab hold of and was biting Kasp as he lay belly exposed. The dog's owner didn't even run towards us or apologize My Aunt's dog, now passed away, was the friendliest dog ever, and very obedient. She was walking off-lead and was attacked by two off-lead dogs for no reason, the two dogs approached her and their owner gave no warning, my Aunt's dog was walking to heel. After the attack she needed an operation, teeth removal, and obviously stitches.

*shrug* my opinion

Red
Page 14 of 16 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 >