View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 06:21 PM
As Angie has said, where on earth can it have gone and how could it have got there? It is a one way street, in and out.

Xrays will not show soft tissue but anything that is radio opaque, ie not transparent to xrays, will show.

My advice would be to try and calm down, make an appointment with your GP to discuss this coil and it's removal, make your feeling known and stop listening to old wives tales and superstitions.

Good luck x
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=Asti;2551008]
Originally Posted by ATD View Post

I would have to have it out in hospital with a gen anesthetic.
But they can't deny you it
ATD x
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
As Angie has said, where on earth can it have gone and how could it have got there? It is a one way street, in and out.

Xrays will not show soft tissue but anything that is radio opaque, ie not transparent to xrays, will show.

My advice would be to try and calm down, make an appointment with your GP to discuss this coil and it's removal, make your feeling known and stop listening to old wives tales and superstitions.

Good luck x
Thanks Nippy. When the coil didn't show up on the ultrasound and internal scan the consultant said if it's gone up into the tummy you will have to have a Laproscopy and be put to sleep to have that done.

These coils are notoriously known for moving, another consultant told me that the trouble is they can move. They can cause blockages and can embed themselves into major organs.

Once I've had the op to scrape my uterus and find out whether the coil was in my uterus or not, if it is the consultant will try and get it out, if not I will then look into getting it sorted and taken out.

Thanks again to you all.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Well they'll find out if it's in your uterus when they do the d&c, if it's not then you can ask what they're going to do to find it.
Although if the lining is really thick not having the Mirena won't help.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Well they'll find out if it's in your uterus when they do the d&c, if it's not then you can ask what they're going to do to find it.
Although if the lining is really thick not having the Mirena won't help.
Thanks Trouble, you've given a good bit of advice there, I will ask what they will do to find it. Also I will ask the consultant if it is worth having another Mirena or not, I know he did say to me "it doesn't seem to be doing you alot of good" so hopefully he may not put another one in especially since my menopause has just started.

Thanks again.
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I've had 2 mirena's too and I don't see how it can be floating around your body either, as to be anywhere other than your uterus etc it would have had to have pierced your uterus and moved through the uterine wall which is possible but not that likely. Why don't they do a hysteroscopy which is a camera into the uterus and look for the thing. It's a simple common clinic proceedure. My first migrated out and my second closed itself so it was a straight line rather than a t shape and did show up on a scan and I was assured everything was fine which was a load of tosh, my consultant told me it has to be located correctly or it might as well not be there but sometimes getting to see your consultant is less than easy. It went missing completely by the time I saw the consultant again anyway.
Sorry I missed this post. I know I had a hysteroscopy the first time when it was inserted.

I think because I am morbidly obese they don't want to either keep me under anaesthetic too long if they do a GA, or if they do a spinal block again they don't have alot of time.

If he doesn't get it out I will say to the consultant after my op I need to be put in for a hysteroscopy another time to find the coil.

How did they get yours out in the end?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-06-2012, 04:49 PM
I can only guess that mine disappeared down the loo, they both went missing without a trace. I didn't have it for contraception but I had incessant really heavy bleeding, I believe caused by hrt but they won't admit that, and was originally diagnosed with hyperplasia which is overgrowth of the endometrium. They kept testing me for other things though and my consultant was convinced I had endometrial cancer but every single test came back clear. As a last ditch attempt at a diagnosis and my stubborness that I would not have a hysterectomy based on a gut instinct they agreed to send me for a mri and discovered I actually have adenomyosis which is overgrowth of the endometrium that grows into the muscle of the uterus. Anyway long story short I had a catastropic bleed back in october and ended up rushed into hospital with hemorhagic shock and have been on northisterone ever since which not only has stopped all bleeding but seems to be beating the adenomyosis into submission too.

Good luck with the op and hopefully it will find the coil lurking in there somewhere so you wont need anything further done.
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Asti View Post
I also hope he doesn't tell me that he's taken it out when he hasn't!

Tell him you want to see it in the condition it was in when removed. Then he can't say he took it out if he didn't and can't show you a new one and say it's the one removed.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Coils can migrate to outside the womb by perforating the uterine wall. Coils have ended up in pelvic cavities, have quite often been expelled with and without women being aware of it, and, apparently, babies have emerged clutching them like rattles (I was told this by a nurse!)

Ultrasound should show it up. It could be excess weight that is making it difficult to locate it properly - I've no idea about that. But it seems it is not likely to do much damage by all accounts tho' I can understand your concern and my first concern would be that it was no longer acting as a contraceptive if it was no longer in the uterine cavity.

The number of cases where things go wrong may be very small compared with the number of IUDs fitted but that does not mean something hasn't gone wrong in your case. In any event - make them take notice of your concerns!

http://www.damsels.org/forum/showthr...na-coil-anyone

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ctors-campbell

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_...b/AllOnOnePage

http://community.homeandhealthtv.co....91/m/855104322

http://community.homeandhealthtv.co....91/m/467106802
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2012, 07:50 PM
coils do show up on pelvic x-rays, you can see the "T" shape of the coil and it sits fairly central and in the lower portion of the pelvis. therefore position can be estimated, but not guaranteed.

the coil should have shown up on the internal scan (an external scan may have missed it due to your size) because of the materials its made of. you can ask your doctor to see the reports from the ultrasound and the pelvis x-ray and they shouldn't stop you, as they are your records.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >