View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2012, 08:46 AM

Big washable rug to go on top of laminate.?

As my puppy has leg problems (see thread in health section), I want to get a big washable rug to cover the laminate flooring in the front room to give him a better grip. I have got a runner rug down now and a couple of soft dog beds down on the flood now to cover it a bit but they always end up shoved to the sides of the room when they are running about.

Any ideas and where I can get something from. I am going to have a look at b and q today but i think it will be hard to find something that is washable (not fully toilet trained yet) and will not slide about too much.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 08:56 AM
maybe somewhere cheap like poundstretcher - if you have one of those. I would think B&Q would be expensive, especially as puppy isn't toilet trained just yet.
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2012, 09:04 AM
With the best will in the world, any rug is going to slip, unless you put one of those rubber rug gripper things under it ( even then they still move a bit ) or anchor it under some furniture.
What about Flokati rugs ?, they can go in the washing machine. Or try Ikea, I have a washable wool rug i got in there, it's not big though.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Would be expensive but what about non slip vet bed?
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks some good ideas, i'll look in to them. i've not heard of non slip vet bed, will have a look. Dont mind paying a bit more if it can be washed rather than a cheap rug which i have to throw away every few days.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 10:12 AM
I got one from a carpet shop. It is washable and it has rubber on the back so none slip. It cost about £60 but I have had it about 3 years now and has been washed many times. The only thing you have to watch is the size that will fit into your washing machine. I ended up spliting mine into two pieces so it will fit in
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Non-slip vetbed is as good as any. Machine washable and dries fast.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 11:26 AM
When I got my two pups they could barely stand up on our stone kitchen floor and I didn't want them to wreck our expensive wool rug. I searched high and low for a washable rug and found one (bought two in the end) from a small independent high street carpet shop. Apparently any large carpet shop i.e. Carpet Land etc should sell them. They are rubber backed so non-slip and wash brilliantly. I still have them down as they use our kitchen as part of their race track and I still worry that they will hurt themselves. Also at both being 15mths it is too early to re-introduce our lovely wool rug as it will probably get chewn.
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Oh that's a good idea, never thought of looking in a carpet shop. Looks like I will need to get two or three so that they will fit in the washing machine. I have got a lovely rug rolled up upstairs, think it will be a year or two before that comes down.
Vet bed sounds good too.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 01:12 PM
I use tumbletwist. Big ones 4' x 6' and, to stop them sliding about too much, I fold them in half and that makes them more 'slab like'. One at a time they fit the machine and I wash them weekly. My rugs are the proof of how dirty my floor gets and I would no way have unwashable ones! But I am lucky in that I can hang them over the verandah and they dry before the day is out.

At the mo I am using smaller ones and more of them. Don't fancy having to wash the big ones once a week with visitors here from now until into July. So I've put those away and have an assortment of smaller 4' x 2' or even smaller ones. I can just bung one at a time in with other laundry that way.

Bella loves a rug and I don't want her skidding on large expanses of hard tiled floor. Also she likes a rug to chew her chew stuff on and if one isn't provided, she will jump up on furniture instead!

My next door neighbours even keep a small doormat sized one for when she visits them out on their verandah - she looks most put out if she has to lie down on the tiles!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >