Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 03:35 PM

Help I'm worrying about everything!

Well Ivan has been here only a week and I am stressing out about every little thing, like my post the other day about hiccups.
I have done so much research on training, settling him in, how the children should behave around him and vice versa but the reality is so different. Don't get me wrong. Ivan is not a problem. He is a total pet. So loving and full of fun just as a puppy should be. Its me. I want to get it right. I want him to be happy and healthy and well adjusted. I want him to fit in to the family and for everyone to get along and I can't stop worrying that I'm going to get it wrong and make a mistake. I have lost my confidence in my ability. I have forgotton everything I've learnt and I just can't be harsh on him when he is naughty. He looks at me with those fabulous eyes of his and I melt I constantly have knots in my stomach and don't seem to be able to relax and enjoy him even though I love him so much. I know I am stressing over nothing and that everyone is fine especially Ivan. He has a very sweet deal here!
Has anyone else felt like this and how did you overcome it?
Nic xx
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 03:49 PM
It may help to get a good trainer on board and do puppy classes too - that way you can chat to other owners.

I'd suggest though you are very careful about who you choose to be your trainer, as some can still be very old fashioned and every other word is about dominance

Not sure if you have puppyschool in Ireland, but try www.puppyschool.co.uk for starters.

Also see here:

http://www.apdt.co.uk/training_class.htm for advice on how to choose a good class. It will be great fun meeting other owners and it does help to relax, to realise what you are going through is very normal

Wys
x
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Hi Wys
I have training classes and handling lined up as soon as he has had all his vaccs. It is an excellent school that only use positive training methods.

I think I just need to know that this is a normal way to feel. I am a bit of a worrier (sp) anyway and want make sure I do the best for him.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Awww Relax, you really can't be doing too much wrong if he is an absolute pet. You don't have to be harsh just consistant. No has to mean no even if you are laughing while saying it.
When do you start training? as that will obviosly give you a bit of confidence. Have you got a good puppy book that you have read, as now sounds a good time to re read it. Seriously though just relax and go with the flow
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi, don't panic.....i think it is normal. I relate to you totally. It is easy to sit back and think when your in that situation i would do this or that but suddenly when you are there it becomes alot more personnal.

I think you need to take a step back and enjoy. Stop worrying. You didn't rush into this situation so you know had to deal with most things just relax and it will all come natural.

I have been over panicked about my pups legs. (as my old newfie had nothing but problems with them). Every time she trips or jumps up my heart does a turn. But i realise i just have to put things into reason, be careful but let her play to a certain point as that is what pups do.

Enjoy and try to relax ....... i am sure everything will be just great.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 04:09 PM
I could sell books at this stage. I think I may have read too many and confused myself lol.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Well Ivan has been here only a week and I am stressing out about every little thing, like my post the other day about hiccups.
I have lost my confidence in my ability. I have forgotton everything I've learnt and I just can't be harsh on him when he is naughty. He looks at me with those fabulous eyes of his and I melt I constantly have knots in my stomach and don't seem to be able to relax and enjoy him even though I love him so much. I know I am stressing over nothing and that everyone is fine especially Ivan. He has a very sweet deal here!
Has anyone else felt like this and how did you overcome it?
Nic xx
Hi Berger try not to get too stressed about Ivan, enjoy him he's georgious !

I don't think puppies are naughty, when they do something you don't wish them to do it isn't naughtiness, they just haven't yet learnt what is required of them by humans.

You don't need to be harsh with him either, just take your time, make your instructions clear, ignore or distract from the things you don't want him to do and praise and give treats when he is good (even if he is just sitting quietly) and you will be fine..
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

You will be fine its quite overwhelming when you get them home and all the things you say you will do you don't.You are both getting used to each other there will be times he does something and those big eyes will not melt your heart you will let him know he has done wrong,but you have only had him a week I worried the same especially as I had to return Zanta it really knocked my confidence.I am doing everything by instinct and firm and positive methods.
Ollie has his moments he is a puppy but we get round them and he is learning but most of all enjoy him,I cannot believe how quickly Ollie is growing and doesn't look the big cuddly pup anymore.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
Hi, don't panic.....i think it is normal. I relate to you totally. It is easy to sit back and think when your in that situation i would do this or that but suddenly when you are there it becomes alot more personnal.

I think you need to take a step back and enjoy. Stop worrying. You didn't rush into this situation so you know had to deal with most things just relax and it will all come natural.

I have been over panicked about my pups legs. (as my old newfie had nothing but problems with them). Every time she trips or jumps up my heart does a turn. But i realise i just have to put things into reason, be careful but let her play to a certain point as that is what pups do.

Enjoy and try to relax ....... i am sure everything will be just great.
Hi Shiba this is exactly the kind of thing I mean...... He is so big and clumsy and everytime he trips up or walks into something I think Oh his joints! I have a big dog bed for him like a bean bag and he dives on it and roles off the other side and I lose my breath everytime he does it. My OH just laughs
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 04:13 PM
I think what you are feeling is normal You have waited a long time for Ivan and now you just want to get it right. You need to just take a deep breath, relax and, as Trouble said, go with the flow

I worried about all sorts of daft things when Flame was a puppy and I tried to do everything by the book, rather than just using common sense. When Moss came along I was far more relaxed and didn't worry the same, and he has turned out a far less serious and sensitive dog.

You will be absolutely fine It will be great when you can chat to other puppy owners and start training club, as any worries or anxieties you have can be talked over with other puppy owners.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >